Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WMP problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: WMP problems Reply with quote

We've got a Icecast 2.3.1 server setup. A few times a week a live broadcasting is streamed. The broadcasting is also copied for on-demand listening afterwards. Authentication is required on the live streaming content. Problem: WMP (version 11 on Vista) does not play the stream, but it can play the saved recordings. The goal is to play MP3 streams, and I think that's what happening (content type is audio/mpeg).

What happens with WMP is that I get a login first. Then it starts connecting and it fails with an (to me unclear) error. I can play it with WinAmp however, so there is no firewall or other connection issue. And I get the login, so authentication shouldn't be the problem as well.

I have also tried to connect a Silverlight app to the stream, but the same result: login succeeds, playing the stream fails.

I have not setup the server myself, but I can have access if necessary. I would first like to understand the issue. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,
Martin
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've heard of WMP failing after a successful authentication is when the MP3 stream is variable bitrate. Check the access log to verify that the response code is 200, how many bytes are sent and the duration.

If it's down to the stream being VBR then you have to ask MS to fix their product, no I don't know why it can handle VBR files but not VBR streams.

karl
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can VBR be configured in Icecast? And what other options are there?

Martin
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether a stream is VBR is not really something icecast cares that much about. The stream is encoded by the source client and that dictates the bitrate. As an example vorbis is essentially a variable bitrate codec.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of source clients are available in the Icecast download and is it possible to install other source clients? The online docs don't talk about that in enough detail. Or can you point me to more in-depth documentation where I can find this?

Martin
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ices 0.4 allows this generally because of people falling into the trap but you can use ices 0.4 with re encoding disabled or ezstream, both of which are on our site although not in the icecast package. Just feed them with VBR files. I'm not sure if oddcast allows VBR streams.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: