Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Common Source Client List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: The Common Source Client List Reply with quote

Starting out, here's a good list of source clients you can start with.
Feel free to explore and see what else the world has to offer.
Remember, Google is your friend.

Linux/Unix/FreeBSD and the Variety:
Ices
Ices comes in two different flavors:
Ices 0.4 - Supports MP3 streaming to Icecast 2 servers. Useful for those who do not want to mass transcode their archives. Also useful for those Audio Purists who have large MP3 collections.

Ices 2.0 - Supports Ogg Vorbis Streaming to Icecast 2 servers. You can read more about ogg at their Xiph.Org homepage.

Note: You cannot do MP3 streaming with 2.0, and you cannot do Ogg streaming with 0.4
Please choose the flavor that suites your need.

MuSE (Multiple Streaming Engine)
The swiss army knife of source clients.
On the configuration side, MuSE features a GTK GUI for use in X Windows sessions, but also has a ncurses interface for those limited to a shell or console.
See their features page for screenshots.

MuSE supports LAME encoding (MP3) as well as Ogg Vorbis streaming.
MuSE also has a MacOSX Binary available for download on their web site.

DarkIce
DarkIce supports direct streaming from OSS, ALSA, and Jack audio devices. It is a minimalistic Source Client that is LIVE STREAMING ONLY. It takes the live mix of all audio on your sound card/device and sends it to the server.
If you wish to stream MP3/OGG/other files only, do NOT use this source client.

IceGenerator
IceGenerator is a source client designed to save as much CPU time as possible. It does not support resampling in anyway, so your media is streamed as is to the server. It is said to be able to run on a stripped down 486 (or high end 386) with a good network card and broadband connection.

IceGenerator features:
MP3 and OGG streaming.
MySQL support or normal directories containing MP3/OGG (for playlist functions).
ID3 tag support.
Rudamentary scripting support (with the ability to send META strings and other data to the listening clients).
syslog logging

LiveIce
LiveIce is a Command Line client designed for streaming in MP3 ONLY to IceCast (v1 and v2!) servers.
It is live audio & mp3 file streaming, anything sent to your soundcard will be sent to the icecast server. Requires OSS support.

(See also: ezstream in the windows clients below)

Windows Source Clients:
OddSock DSP Tools
Oddsock brings us tons of DSP Source clients.
Of the variety Oddsock includes a DSP for:
Jack devices, Winamp, Foobar2000, XMMS, and more!

Spacial Audio Streaming Audio Manager (SAM) Broadcaster
SAM Broadcaster, current version 3.3.2 (as of this writing)
SAM 3 sports a very pretty (and resource abusing) frontend, combined with numerous backends for databasing (playlists/media library/etc.) and streaming formats, SAM3 is the Windows Swiss Army knife of broadcasting tools.
SAM3 supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, Oracle (and more?) database engines for storing your media file information and recalling it for playback on the station.
SAM3 can stream in mp3/mp3PRO, OGG, and (WMA? I always forget but I remember a third codec, or is it AAC?).
All of which can be quality configurable to the fullest range of the chosen codec.

Supports IceCast, ShoutCast, and Live365 Broadcasting servers.

Also from Spacial Audio comes Simplecast and Winamp Streaming Plugins
Simplecast is designed to do all of the functions of SAM3 with regards to broadcasting, without requiring a huge frontend or database backend.
It still supports mp3/mp3PRO, OGG, and WMA streaming, as well as broadcasting to Icecast, Shoutcast, and Live365 servers.

The Winamp plugins do everything simplecast does but integrated into your Winamp session.

The key difference is that SimpleCast is a direct audio device streamer (whatever your computer sends to the soundcard is sent to the broadcasting server), and Winamp's plugins are a playlist controlled streamer designed for playlist streaming of your media files.

ezstream
ezstream is the successor to the old "shout" utility.
It is available for Windows AND *nix/BSD Operating Systems.
ezstream supports streaming of MP3 and OGG Vorbis (and even FLAC!) files.
It is command line ONLY. GUI lovers, be warned.
ezstream sends song metadata via the ID3V1 tags in MP3's, and the applicable "Vorbis Comment" fields.

Orbn Opticodec-PC
Opticodec-PC aims to be 'the streaming solution'.
It supports AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus Streaming streaming to Icecast, Shoutcast, and QTSS/DSS Servers.
This software DOES COST, although there are numerous payment 'tiers' (and thus, levels of software with different features) to appeal to you as necessary.
[Fill me in]
(I've never used Opticodec! :X)

MacOS X Source Clients:
NiceCast
NiceCast is a MacOSX Source client.
It sports a very clean and beautiful GUI with plenty of features including stream archiving, effect mixing, and multiple server streaming and monitoring (even Live365!).

NiceCast works on OS X versions 10.3.0 (Jaguar?) through 10.4.1 (Tiger).

It DOES cost $30 for the full version, but features a fully functional demo version*.
*The demo allows you to stream anything, to anywhere (that you have the ability to access, of course) for 20 minutes. After that time the stream is overlayed with a heavy static.

(See Also: MuSE In the *nix/BSD section)

Author's Notes:
Yes, I plan to rework this, but content > * at this time, so I'll keep adding to it, and then restructure it later.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Intimidated

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as Icecast now supports the Nullsoft Shoutcast streaming tools (DSP plugin and NSV tools), they should be added to this list IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but doesnt icecast only support ONE shoutcast source? therefore it cant be considered a fully functional source client.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
yes, but doesnt icecast only support ONE shoutcast source? therefore it cant be considered a fully functional source client.

You can use only 1 shoutcast source client per icecast at any one time (a limitation of the shoutcast protocol). That is a limitation that nullsoft imposed on themselves, but the source client can do what it would do normally, there is no loss in functionality. A connected shoutcast source client does not prevent other icecast source clients from connecting unless a limit is reached or a mountpoint already taken.

karl.
wirelessgimp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: mac os 9.2 source Reply with quote

Hi there
after looking at the list here and the one on the website I can see now source client for streaming on a macintosh running os 9.2, is there any such thing? standalone would be great.
/me starts praying.

Thanks in advance for any answer, even negative ones.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I have a some what different setup dont know if you have something that can help:
I have a hardware encoder that is encoding my stream into mp3, and I can access the stream via: http://encoder/stream.mp3, how can I set up icecast on another server to take that stream and re-broadcast it to the world?

Thanks.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Multiple user can not connect to icecast server Reply with quote

I had configured icecast2 and ices 0 .4 and working fine but problem is when more than one user is connecting to the server

one more thing is that is that possible that a list of song shows in icecast server interface
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Other linux client... Reply with quote

IDJC http://www.onlymeok.nildram.co.uk/ is a very good Linux icecast client, with a lot of features.
cmodyssey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: An alternative to Simplecast Reply with quote

Hi,

I never realised that there is a standalone version of Edcast, which takes it's audio from the line in or mic inputs on Windows PCs!

All variants of Edcast are on the page for the link below, click on the link for Standalone and that will download an installer for the standalone version.

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/edcast/

I've just got it to work to icecast2, so it's definitely worth me mentioning.

Happy days!!
hanfi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working with MacOSX as source client machine, and wanted tell about Ladiocast.
In contrast to nicecast its free and has a open license.
It has mp3 and ogg support and can talk to icecast without any problems (as far as i experienced).

The website is something asian http://blog.kawauso.com/kawauso/macladiocast/ but the software is available at apple too http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/audio/ladiocast.html

It works fine on 10.5 and 10.6.
x4b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Guest Reply with quote

http://x4b.dtn.ru/
x~4b cast service
cmodyssey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Simplecast coming to end of life Reply with quote

In an email thread with Spacialaudio, they say the following:

Simple Cast is coming to the end of its' life cycle. We will probably be looking at discontinuing the software.

Simple Cast can't be used on Windows 7. The software is no longer being developed. The program will be most likely discontinued shortly.
revelator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this a year ago

http://butt.sourceforge.net/

works fine for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: