Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

embedding radio player in web site using flash or wmp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hp3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: embedding radio player in web site using flash or wmp Reply with quote

I am researching the feasibility of using Flash or windows media to play an audio stream from icecast. I need to embed a player in a web page that plays the stream.

Does Flash or WMP support streaming from the server or only support progressive download of an icecast broadcast which causes the file to accumulate on the end user's computer ram or hard drive?

All of my research on Flash indicates that it will progressively download the stream, but it is not clear what is going on with WMP. Does WMP support streaming from icecast?

Can WMP play AAC+ streams from icecast "out of the box" without requiring the end user to install a codec?

Is there any kind of FAQ about web browser based client players that I can read about to get more information on how well each supports icecast streams?

Thanks for any information.
LVB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: embedding radio player in web site using flash or wmp Reply with quote

hp3 wrote:
I am researching the feasibility of using Flash or windows media to play an audio stream from icecast. I need to embed a player in a web page that plays the stream.

Does Flash or WMP support streaming from the server or only support progressive download of an icecast broadcast which causes the file to accumulate on the end user's computer ram or hard drive?

Most Flash players are accumulating the stream, causing the browser to eat up memory.

One player which does not do this can be found here: http://blog.codingexpert.de/?p=66

Quote:
All of my research on Flash indicates that it will progressively download the stream, but it is not clear what is going on with WMP. Does WMP support streaming from icecast?

WMP does not accumulate the stream and does not eat up memory.

Quote:
Can WMP play AAC+ streams from icecast "out of the box" without requiring the end user to install a codec?

Unfortunately not. You will have to install the Orban codec in WMP and this can only be done manually by the user.

Quote:
Is there any kind of FAQ about web browser based client players that I can read about to get more information on how well each supports icecast streams?

Not that I know of. The bottom line is this: you can reliably stream MP3 from Icecast to some embedded Flash players that are programmed in such a way not to accumulate the stream in memory.

You can not stream AAC+ streams to Flash from Icecast or from Shoutcast. You will need an RTMP server like Wowza, Red5 or Flash Media Server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: