Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visonair + Icecast resulting in scrambled image

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarbledVideo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Visonair + Icecast resulting in scrambled image Reply with quote

I've used Icecast for audio streaming for several years now, but have always wanted to try using it for streaming video as well. Experiments with VLC have been largely unsuccessful, so having read about Visonair OGG Streamer, I gave it a shot.

The framerate was really good, the sound was crystal clear and the program itself didn't use an excessive amount of the CPU, so I'm really favourable towards it. Unfortunately, the resultant image is almost completely indecypherable...it would be difficult, at best, to watch something like this.

Source feed, before encoding

Resultant image, after encoding

Initially I believed it was a case where the image was being processed at 75% of the normal width, but the pixels were lined up at 100% without appropriate "linebreaks" so to speak, but reassembling the lines and looking for logical line breaks show that the 75% theory isn't correct...the image looks most like the original at 300%...when every 3 lines are treated as a single line. http://i.imgur.com/jXPIh.jpg (not inline because it's 960px wide). This also occurs regardless of what resolution the stream is (including square resolutions, like 240x240) and what resolution the source is (320x240 and 640x480 are what's available to me).

I'm at a loss...are there thoughts as to what I can try to fix this? Visonair's streamer correctly shows the image in its preview window, so I'm fairly certain the problem lies between when the image is encoded and when it's received by a player (tried VLC, WMPlayer, and Visonair's own player - same image across all 3), but that's a pretty broad range...
Sankt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contact visionair about the problem ?
GarbledVideo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sent a message to them through their website.
GarbledVideo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for another post, but it's been over a week and I have not heard a reply from them at all yet.
Sankt

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They developed the visionaire software, so they would know the finer points of the software.
The only other method would be to review the source code.
GarbledVideo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a proprietary program; there is no source code to review (not that I'd be able to understand much of it even if it was open).

I've sent them another email...

Incidentally, are there any other reasonably similar alternatives I can use on Windows? The only reason why I'm using this particular software is because it's a LOT less confusing than VLC (and has actually connected and worked, barring the scrambled image). I'm not holding my breath that this problem will be solved.
liteFun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day i tried visonair too, and it was working fine, but next day it sent video like on first post but everything bottom for few pixels of height. Video size was what I set.
I just restarted and tried different video sizes but nothing worked, until it started sending video as expected. Visonair is very mysterious software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: