Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metadata does not stream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Metadata does not stream Reply with quote

How do I get metadata to stream to a player? All I get is "radio" in whichever player I use. Metdata does show up on the admin page.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming you are talking about MP3. Metadata has to be requested by the player as it would break the mp3 framing specs which would be a problem if the player is not aware of it. Assuming that metadata is present on the server and you have not set mp3-metadata-interval to 0 in any mount definition then you should get it if the player asks for it.

karl.
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm using Ogg. I started my station with Shoutcast/MP3, realised I was using an old version of sc_trans, saw that the latest version requires a paid license for MP3 streaming, and said "the hell with this". My station's M.O. is "free music for free minds". $5 isn't a lot, but is contrary to my little business philosophy.

Anyway Laughing I don't have any mount definitions. Should I? Also, when I tune in to other radio stations with Audacious or VLC, I get metadata, so the problem is in my server config somewhere.
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I must have done something wrong with converting my two test files. Here's one:

http://audiodef.com/audio/bimb128.ogg

When I open this in a media player, all I get is the file name.

I'll try another conversion, especially since I'm now reading that I need to use Vorbis comments, not ID3.
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is interesting...

Metadata does not show up in the stream. Metadata does not show up if I open the file directly on my server. Metadata (artist and track title) DOES show up if I download the file and open it locally.

What does this mean in terms of getting metadata to show up in the stream?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a server issue. The source client will send the content to icecast along with the comments and those will be passed on. How your source client fills out those varies but if you are sending a files without encoding then the comments will be in there already. Check the logs files for icecast or the source client.

karl.
audiodef

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know how Ices works. I just followed the simple instructions for getting a stream up and running. This is the last few lines of my /var/log/ices/ices.log:

Code:

[2011-05-20  18:29:03] INFO playlist-builtin/playlist_read Currently playing "/var/www/audiodef/htdocs/audio/bw128.ogg"
[2011-05-20  18:29:03] DBUG encode/encode_clear Clearing encoder engine
[2011-05-20  18:29:03] DBUG reencode/reencode_page Reinitialising reencoder for new logical stream
[2011-05-20  18:29:03] INFO encode/encode_initialise Encoder initialising in VBR mode: 2 channels, 44100 Hz, nominal 128000
[2011-05-20  18:33:07] DBUG playlist-basic/shuffle Playlist has been shuffled
[2011-05-20  18:33:07] EROR playlist-builtin/playlist_read Cannot play same file twice in a row, skipping
[2011-05-20  18:33:07] INFO playlist-builtin/playlist_read Currently playing "/var/www/audiodef/htdocs/audio/bimb128.ogg"
[2011-05-20  18:33:07] DBUG encode/encode_clear Clearing encoder engine
[2011-05-20  18:33:07] DBUG reencode/reencode_page Reinitialising reencoder for new logical stream
[2011-05-20  18:33:07] INFO encode/encode_initialise Encoder initialising in VBR mode: 2 channels, 44100 Hz, nominal 128000

Is that expected? Does this tell us anything about why I am not seeing comments in my media player?

Also, I find it odd that I cannot see comments when accessing an ogg file from my server - not in the stream, just directly - but I can see the comments in my player from the same file if I play it locally from my computer.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you are defining too much, don't used resample if the source material is already at the correct rate. The serial number issue could be a problem if the app you use for creating the ogg content is using a non-randomised number. You can use ogginfo to see the details of the ogg file.

karl.
audiodef

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I'm just another dumbass. Embarassed

My stream plays perfectly in Audacious on two other machines, so it's a question of the machine I normally work on not having appropriately compiled instances of Audacious and VLC. I'm doing some updates now to fix that. Embarassed

Next time I say something, I promise, it'll be smarter. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: