Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes no longer displays metadata from Icecast streams !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
col3gram

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: iTunes no longer displays metadata from Icecast streams ! Reply with quote

Hello,

We noticed that the last version of iTunes - 10.5 - no longer displays the name and the metadata of our live stream. We do not understand what is the problem because we send metadata with ours stream for 5 years without problem until this update of iTunes. The fact is we don't have this kind of error with iTunes 9 or others music players as VLC or RealPlayer.

Note that we are not the only radio affected by this problem... It seems iTunes 10 does not accept metada from all Icecast streams anymore.

On the other side iTunes correctly display metadata from Shoutcast streams !

Any idea?

Thanks,

Ghislain

Config

Station Name : Radio Campus Orléans 88.3 FM
Icecast version : 2.3.2
Source Client : Eddcast Standalone
Stream Type (MP3, AAC or AAC+) : MP3 192 kbps
Audio Stream IP/URL : http://88.191.69.150:8000/stream_rco.mp3
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, there's nothing player specific coded in for this. If it requests metadata inserts them they are provided and what's more, if the metadata is unexpected or out of alignment then playback is affected so it will become very noticeable. The fact that playback is ok and metadata is requested from shoutcast in the same way makes this an odd player bug.

You could try setting the following in the mount

<mp3-metadata-interval>8192</mp3-metadata-interval>

If that works then it's parsing the metadata inserts but the gap is confusing the display. At least then you'll have something to report to Apple.

karl.
col3gram

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Karl,

Thanks for your answer! But despite this setting metadata from my stream do not display in iTunes 10 Sad

Also I tried to update metadata directly from the admin home on the server but it does not work either. I'm in touch with Apple guys but they answered me all is ok with Icecast streams in iTunes...

Do you think you could test the problem with your own streams to match the results?

Thanks a lot,

Ghislain
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They lied, it seems that with the 10.5 update I've tried with, it does not request metadata for your URL and that means the metadata is never supplied. If I change the URL request to be http://....:8000/ then the header requesting metadata appears. I also tried here locally and it seems that the .mp3 extension is the deciding factor.

So It looks like itunes is not sending the icy-metadata:1 header when the mountpoint has an extension which with shoutcast it never is.

this means that it plays but no inserts are provided. You can verify this by changing your xml configuration for icecast and add an alias of

<alias source="/stream_rco" dest="/stream_rco.mp3" />

Then try requesting http://.....:8000/stream_rco in itunes. I suspect that will then work. If the apple person is not aware what all this is about then tell them to get in touch with me.

karl.
col3gram

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it!

You can test the stream here: http://88.191.69.150:8000/stream_rco

I added the alias in the conf file and iTunes now correctly displays metadata without the .mp3 extension.

I will try to explain the bug to the iTunes staff and I will put you in CC of this talk if you are ok with that.

Thanks and congrats Carl, you unmasked a new bug of iTunes! Smile

Ghislain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: