Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Environment Sound System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Environment Sound System Reply with quote

I would like to setup a environment sound system at my house. What should I do in order to synchronize music playback in clients over a lan ? I other words, I wanna hear the same music at the same point when I walk from living room (one client) to bedroom (another client). Is it possible?
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not to the level you want. You can reduce the buffer in the icecast config so that there is very little, but the client will also have a buffer and the audio is probably going to be noticably out of sync.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Perhaps some variant of NTP is needed Reply with quote

Hmmm... but how can I "click" on Play button at the same time in all clients? This seems a Distributed System problem, I'm thinking about using a hacked NTP version to sync this event broadcast.
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of problem really needs some kind of studio grade digital realtime audio system.

You're best bet it to skip the technology, and simply have speakers all over the house controlled from a single location. Get a couple of soundblaster awe 32's that's 4 outputs per card, you can then play the same stuff everywhere in realtime and just have the controls for volume etc in each room, or on a bluetooth headset/remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: