Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading Icecast KH20 to KH31 While running.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Upgrading Icecast KH20 to KH31 While running. Reply with quote

Hi Kharl,

I know this is a silly question but this is my situation now, I am currently using Icecast KH29 on my server and I want to upgrade it to KH31 my problem is I have 30 clients currently using the Icecast and its a tricky to kill all their PID and start the upgrading but this Icecast server was controlled by Centovacast and I know if I kill the existing process one of them will go to their centovacast panel and start the Icecast again.

Any suggestion from you, or I can just install the new KH31 even the KH29 is running so that the next time they restart the Icecast it will be the new version. by the way I am using CentOS5 Linux server for the Icecast.

thanks

dards
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly install the newer version while it's running. Restart a test server to make sure everything is working and if so restart all icecasts whenever the best time is. The existing processes will refer to a copy of the program while it's still open. On some setups of unix you used to get a Text file busy type of error on the install but that shouldn't apply in your case.

karl.
greatmenjmt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
You can certainly install the newer version while it's running. Restart a test server to make sure everything is working and if so restart all icecasts whenever the best time is. The existing processes will refer to a copy of the program while it's still open. On some setups of unix you used to get a Text file busy type of error on the install but that shouldn't apply in your case.

karl.

sorry for come up with this old tread but what i need to accomplish here is the same: update from kh31 to kh32 while its running..., im on a centos 6 and i instaled icecast by compiling it like the readme says:

Run
./configure
make
make install

so my question is: whats the best method to update? download the tar.gz, untar on a temp folder and ./configure, make and make install aggain?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be certain cases where the make install stage may throw up an error about the file being busy but I haven't seen that message myself for some time so it may only apply to certain file systems/OS (win32 may not like it for example). This was because the executable file is mapped into memory the make install tries to overwrite it. All other files are either read on-the-fly or cached in memory. The only files you should be careful about are your own modified ones, any in webroot/adminroot or the xml.

karl.
greatmenjmt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ill backup the webroot/adminroot and the xml files and try to upgrade maybe tonight...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: