Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming Real/Windows Media to MP3 conversions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Streaming Real/Windows Media to MP3 conversions? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to IceCast, but had a question that I thought someone here might have experience with.

I have a Roku SoundBridge networked MP3 player appliance. It can connect to a Windows Media Connect server, an iTunes server, a SlimServer, and a couple other media servers to play the music stored there. It can also go to web site URLs that are MP3 or WAV streams and play those live (for instance, you can tune WHYY in Philadelphia this way).

It cannot however play RealMedia streams or Windows Media streams. Of course all the ones I really want to listen to use these formats. Supposedly with some hacks you can use AlienBBC with SlimServer to at least listen to say, BBC Worldservice (one at the top of my list), but none of us has been able to get this to fly with the Roku.

So here's my idea. I want to create a personal MP3 streaming server like IceCast on my home network. All it would do is when you connect to specific URLs is start up "mplayer", which can convert Real and Windows Media to MP3, to connect to these sites that I want to listen to in non-MP3 format. Basically the MP3 server would be acting as a translating proxy for the real web sites.

Has anyone done this? I have a couple of Linux boxes at home and I have Apache experience. It seems like it could almost be a simple CGI where the target URL is part of the GET string and it simply execs "mplayer" in between. However, I thought maybe there's more to making streaming MP3 and/or someone has done this before.

Anyone done it before?

Note, I only want this for personal use. Clearly there would be copyright issues if this were a public service.

Thanks in advance!
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first thing that comes to mind is StreamTranscoder, however that doesn't accept rm or wma inputs.

The best I can suggest is having a single linux machine that plays whatever stream it is you want via whatever tool you want. You then run a live capture source client, such as LiveIce which will feed the captured audio as an MP3 stream to your icecast server.

Or, going into unknown territory for me, find a commandline player that will read the stream and can output the raw PCM audio to "stdout", which you then pipe into ezstream via "stdin" which is then encoded to MP3 and sent to your icecast server.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you actually do this with mplayer. It's been a while since I've worked with mplayer, but if recall correctly there is a command-line flag that outputs raw audio data to stdout. So you may be able to use mplayer, started via a cron script, to grab your favorite streams, and then pipe the converted data to icecast to be streamed. Let me know how it goes, as I've been contemplating something similiar...

flaminghyundai at hotmail dot com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: