Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote studio to FM Community Radio Station

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwesterm@bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Remote studio to FM Community Radio Station Reply with quote

Hello My name is Ken Westerman technical officer from Three Rivers FM 101.5 Dunedoo NSW Australia.

My problem is we have a town Mendooran 25 miles away and would like to stream from them to us in Dunedoo so that we can put this live to air.
ADSL is in both towns. Although we are a population of 450 & 851 Respectively. The reason we require a cheap good sounding link is for input from the School at Mendooran to participate in live presentations lile our local school does.

Our big problem is not enough money to go for other types of links.

We have been on the air 2.5 years and as at last November have a permanent licence.

Can you please help me with what we would need in the way of software.
and costs that would be involved if this can be done.

Thanking you ... Ken Westerman
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can use Ogg Vorbis to stream this live event - it's free, it's rather easy to implement, and it doesn't eat so much bandwith.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is the delay caused by both the compression and the network transfer. It can be as high as 5 seconds. If your show is broadcasted in only one way (them to you, and no response from you), it's acceptable.

The quality is rather good beginning at 2, good at 3-4, excellent higher - but do you truely need bandwith-eating quality, given that all your studio equipment will modify it (compressor-limiters and stuff)?

If you make any experiment, just tell us... As far as I'm concerned, I'm studying such an installation for my own FM station!
Ken Westerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Streaming Reply with quote

Where do download ogg vorbis please. ... Ken
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogg Vorbis is an open sound format (just as its proprietary equivalents - MP3, AAC, etc). For more information: http://www.vorbis.com/ and the Ogg Vorbis FAQ: http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: