Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automating stream metadata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Automating stream metadata Reply with quote

I've just installed icecast from the sources, and the default status page doesn't give me that nifty "current song" listing. Is that something that is supposed to work by default, or do I have to set that up? That seems like a pretty basic feature to me, which is why I'm now wondering if my installation was incomplete, and what else might be broken.

In short: how do I link up with shoutcast's output metadata so I can set the current song?

-dave
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something the source client should do. Which one are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the ices-2.0.1 client. I know the data should come from there, but the hook must be somewhere in icecast.

And forgive me for saying that other broadcaster instead of ICECAST in my previous post.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ices 2 with live encoding from the soundcard then i assume, as when streaming from files the metadata is read from them. so what you need is a script for your source (for the songchange plugin in xmms for example) that writes the metadata to a file and then signals ices2 with USR1.

see the metadatafilename parameter in the ices2 config.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I'm doing is streaming a cool mix of songs from my machine at home to me and my friends at work. And all I want is for the name of the current file to be displayed in the listener's tuner. Now, as I understand the design, ices reads a playlist from a file or other source and gives the signal to icecast. Icecast then copies that signal to all listeners. Within that output signal is the metadata stream that tells xmms or winamp or whatever to display something in the window.

How can I tell icecast to display "Hello World" in my radio's window?

-dave
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I am not really sure what you are asking about, its a little unclear to me.. but..

As i said it depends on how you are feeding ices2. is it through a playlist? or is it through the sound device? And as i told you in the earlier post you need to let ices2 know of the metadata via a file, and then signal it to read the file via the USR1 signal in case you are streaming from the sound device.

so basically:
1) configure ices2 to read metadata from a file
2) configure your player to write the metadata to that file, i.e.:
ARTIST=Who's playing
TITLE=What's playing
3) after the metadata is written to the file, signal ices2 with the USR1 signal: killall -USR1 ices

here are some further hints if you are using xmms.
http://www.cweiske.de/howto-tipsnscripts/ch02s03.html
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this posting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: