Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems streaming HE-AAC+PS using Winamp/Shoutcast DSP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Problems streaming HE-AAC+PS using Winamp/Shoutcast DSP Reply with quote

I don't know if those are bugs or a features?

First - I tried to stream HE-AAC+PS (aka aacPlus v2) using Winamp/Shoutcast DSP to Icecast 2.3. It works but shoutcast metadata are not displayed properly. No way to make it work...

There is workaround, though. I put AOL's shoutcast server on the same machine, set it up so Winamp streams to it, and then set up a Icecast proxy to the shoutcast server. Now, metadata are displayed correctly on Icecast relayed streams. But, still, when first client tries to connect on relay it gets 404, for a minute or two. After that, relay works fine, but some clients just give up thinking that stream is offline.

Any ideas?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to say exactly what happens. The usual process for metadata updates from winamp is sending metadata via a seperate URL request, this has not changed AFAIK, but check your logs to see if updates are coming through.

The 404 response from the icecast relay is probably because the relay has not started up yet (rechecks on <master-update-interval> seconds). For 2.3 you could set that up as an on-demand relay, that way it is active but doesn't start the connection up until there are listeners.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems streaming HE-AAC+PS using Winamp/Shoutcast DSP Reply with quote

corby wrote:
I don't know if those are bugs or a features?

First - I tried to stream HE-AAC+PS (aka aacPlus v2) using Winamp/Shoutcast DSP to Icecast 2.3. It works but shoutcast metadata are not displayed properly. No way to make it work...

There is workaround, though. I put AOL's shoutcast server on the same machine, set it up so Winamp streams to it, and then set up a Icecast proxy to the shoutcast server. Now, metadata are displayed correctly on Icecast relayed streams. But, still, when first client tries to connect on relay it gets 404, for a minute or two. After that, relay works fine, but some clients just give up thinking that stream is offline.

Any ideas?

sounds like you are not putting icecast in "Shoutcast DSP" compatibility mode. Can you verify that you've specificaly configured icecast for shoutcast DSP support (it's not on by default). Alternatively, you can get rid of the shoutcast DSP and use oddcastv3 (http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv3) as it supports the aacplusv3 encoding dll provided by the latest winamp.

oddsock
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
You'll have to say exactly what happens. The usual process for metadata updates from winamp is sending metadata via a seperate URL request, this has not changed AFAIK, but check your logs to see if updates are coming through.

Well. there's no metadata updates, only thing that is shown as a metadata is original description given in Shoutcast DSP. No sings of metadata update HTTP request at the Icecast's log. Updates comming from other source that streams Vorbis, shows up in the logs regulary.

Quote:

The 404 response from the icecast relay is probably because the relay has not started up yet (rechecks on <master-update-interval> seconds). For 2.3 you could set that up as an on-demand relay, that way it is active but doesn't start the connection up until there are listeners.

karl.

Lowering master-update-interval value helped, thanks Smile
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems streaming HE-AAC+PS using Winamp/Shoutcast DSP Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:

sounds like you are not putting icecast in "Shoutcast DSP" compatibility mode. Can you verify that you've specificaly configured icecast for shoutcast DSP support (it's not on by default). Alternatively, you can get rid of the shoutcast DSP and use oddcastv3 (http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv3) as it supports the aacplusv3 encoding dll provided by the latest winamp.

oddsock

Well, I suppose that without shoutcast compatibility mode Shoutcast would work at all? It works this way, just no metadata updates. Icecast listens normaly on 18000, and there is shoutcast enabled port on 18001, it should be OK?

I'm using Oddcast with Foobar2k as a Vorbis source, but never tried it with Winamp. Actually, I haven't been using Winamp for years, this was just for checking out aacplus v2. Great, can't wait to dump Shoutcast Wink

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corby wrote:
karlH wrote:

Well. there's no metadata updates, only thing that is shown as a metadata is original description given in Shoutcast DSP. No sings of metadata update HTTP request at the Icecast's log. Updates comming from other source that streams Vorbis, shows up in the logs regulary.

Quote:

karl.

Lowering master-update-interval value helped, thanks Smile

in order for the metadata updates to work, you need to make sure you've configured your ports properly. This is exactly why we provide an example config which show how to set one up (a shoutcast dsp compatible setup) properly... Can you PLEASE verify that you've used this config as a base setup, or post your config someplace....

oddsock
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it looks like Oddsock supports aacplus even in foobar if you take winamp's plugin and put it in foobar's dir.? Cool...
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:

in order for the metadata updates to work, you need to make sure you've configured your ports properly. This is exactly why we provide an example config which show how to set one up (a shoutcast dsp compatible setup) properly... Can you PLEASE verify that you've used this config as a base setup, or post your config someplace....

oddsock

Well, I believe that I took shoutcast-compat example as a base. Relevant part of my config looks like this:

Code:

<listen-socket>
        <port>18000</port>
    </listen-socket>

<listen-socket>
        <port>18001</port>
        <shoutcast-compat>1</shoutcast-compat>
    </listen-socket>

Basically, I just changed ports from 8000 to 18000.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I managed to install Oddsock, even to source aacplus from both foobar or winamp. But, guess what...? No metadata!? Even on song change - only name clients see is the description of the stream. Again, with Vorbis everything work fine (haven't try mp3, though...)

Could it be that it's something regarding Icecast support for aacplus?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: