Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Media Player buffers a long time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Windows Media Player buffers a long time Reply with quote

Running Icecast2 with Darkice with Lame support on a Ubuntu system so I can stream live MP3. I'm using a bit rate of 96K and 2 channels. On the Windows client I start up a web interface and go to the IP address:port of my server and the Icecast2 screen comes up. 'Click to Listen". Ok now, with Firefox and VLC it comes right up and I get the stream. With IE and Windows Media Player it takes several minutes to buffer then plays. The stream stays several minutes behind the live input. Why is that? Users will tend to think it's not working. Sadly I need to support Media Player and MP3 so a standard PC can lsiten in without adding extra software.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for us to know why WMP is so broken. Make sure the stream is CBR as anything else confuses WMP.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: CBR Reply with quote

You hit it! - I had edited an OGG setup for the MP3 stream and I had left the bit rate mode as ABR. Changed to CBR and all is good (for now).

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: