Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Media Player / On-Demand Streams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Windows Media Player / On-Demand Streams Reply with quote

I've noticed some odd behavior when testing Windows Media Player as a client on my Icecast server...

Just as background, I'm running RC3 on a Windows 2003 box (as a service).

I've noticed that when there are no clients (ie, the relay has disconnected from its source), and I connect with Windows Media Player, WMP just hangs with "Connecting" message. Although I do not know the internals of Icecast, it's like the stream isn't getting the message to reconnect to the server that it is relaying. (In my case, I'm relaying a ShoutCast).

This only happens when the relay is inactive. If there are any other clients; it will work normally. This also does not happen with standard (always-on) relays, just with the on-demand type.

Does anyone have any opinions or ideas on this one? Is this a problem with WMP or Icecast?

-Ben
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's nothing in the code with regard to on-demand relays that it user agent specific. If there is a request then the relay is started. The error log should give more information on such usage (use level 4 for the test).

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply, Karl.

I've been looking through the debug logs; and the stream is indeed picking up. However, WMP is still exhibiting the same behavior. WMP seems to deal with regular (not on-demand) streams; but for some reason it is having trouble with this one.

It seems from my reading of the logs that Icecast is registering an "Client connection died" just after it processes the ShoutCast MetaData.

Perhaps WMP cannot cope with the fact that the stream is not immediately ready when demanded? I don't really know.

I certainly know that it isn't Icecast's job to accomodate a buggy player.

Do you think you would be able to notice anything more if I were to make the logs available? I've done a clean load of Icecast, and have gotten the logs down to a very clean 101 lines, to make them readable.

Icecast is quite a wonderful product. I'm glad that I switched off of ShoutCast.

Off Topic: If anyone is interested, I've made some ASP.NET scripts that act like ShoutCast's "content" feature. This was one thing that I couldn't find within Icecast; and it's quite helpful for my purposes. We wish to stream mp3's, but to have a level of download-prevention, even if not anything more than ShoutCast offered.

Thanks again for your help.

-Ben
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can send the error log to me if you want. The client connection died will either be the relay or the listener connection, but if you see the source being activated (stats etc) then it will be winamp terminating the connection.

karl
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your willingness to check this out. I have sent you the log for your review.

The more that I read about Windows Media Player, the more that I'm realizing how many problems it seems to have. It really doesn't seem to do well with streaming.

Let me know what you think of the logs; you can make more of the specifics than I can.

Thanks again.

-Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: