Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Encoding Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Character Encoding Problem Reply with quote

I have set up an Icecast server on my computer. I feed it a stream using icegenerator. I use the comment tag in my mp3 files to store preformatted META data in a format like the following:
«Mad About You» by «Sting» from the album «The Soul Cages»

This shows up fine in RealPlayer, but it shows up in the status page as:
«Mad About You? by ?Sting? from the album ?The Soul Cages?

It seems that only the first of the extended characters is being properly encoded to UTF-8, while the rest are not. If I change the encoding specified in the xsl file to iso-8859-1, it shows up as the following:

How can I get all of the characters encoded into UTF-8? (Or, as an alternative, none of them, so it will show up properly as iso-8859-1)

Any help would be appreciated
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Character Encoding Problem Reply with quote

rkjnsn wrote:
I have set up an Icecast server on my computer. I feed it a stream using icegenerator. I use the comment tag in my mp3 files to store preformatted META data in a format like the following:

is that metadata in the mp3 file stored as UTF-8 ?

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it is in UTF-8. I encode my mp3s with the following script:
Code:

#!/bin/bash

ENC_OPTIONS="--preset cbr 96"
for file in "$@"
do
  newname="`basename "$file" .flac`.mp3"
  echo Encoding `basename "$file"` to $newname
  TITLE=`metaflac --show-tag=TITLE "$file" | cut -b 7-`
  ARTIST=`metaflac --show-tag=ARTIST "$file" | cut -b 8-`
  ALBUM=`metaflac --show-tag=ALBUM "$file" | cut -b 7-`
  TRACK=`metaflac --show-tag=TRACKNUMBER "$file" | cut -b 13-`
  YEAR=`metaflac --show-tag=DATE "$file" | cut -b 6-9`
  COMMENT="Random Music - «${TITLE}» by «${ARTIST}» from the album «${ALBUM}»"
  flac -d -c "$file" | lame $ENC_OPTIONS --tt "$TITLE" --ta "$ARTIST" --tl "$ALBUM" --tn "$TRACK" --ty "$YEAR" --tc "$COMMENT" - "$newname"
  mp3gain -r -c "$newname"
done

Unless lame is UTF-8 encoding it, it is not.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkjnsn wrote:
I do not think it is in UTF-8. I encode my mp3s with the following script:
Unless lame is UTF-8 encoding it, it is not.

your mp3 files are getting details based on your flac files, so are you writing utf-8 strings to the flac files? you need to check where the tags come from and if it is not ascii then which charset is it in

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
your mp3 files are getting details based on your flac files, so are you writing utf-8 strings to the flac files? you need to check where the tags come from and if it is not ascii then which charset is it in

karl.

The flac files are encoded by Exact Audio Copy calling the flac executible, passing the tag info on the command line. The only characters which need any special encoding are the double angle quotes, however, and these are not from the flac file, but instead added by the shell script.

If you like, I can test it with a manually tagged mp3 file, instead of one with information pulled from a flac file.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkjnsn wrote:
The flac files are encoded by Exact Audio Copy calling the flac executible, passing the tag info on the command line. The only characters which need any special encoding are the double angle quotes, however, and these are not from the flac file, but instead added by the shell script.

If you like, I can test it with a manually tagged mp3 file, instead of one with information pulled from a flac file.

If it's just those odd few chars then I suspect that the charset is defined by the editor used to insert them into the shell script.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it's just those odd few chars then I suspect that the charset is defined by the editor used to insert them into the shell script.

karl.

The editor (vim) is not using utf-8. The odd thing is that the first odd character gets converted to utf-8, while the others do not. I will test tagging one mp3 manually to see what results I get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: