Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming Live Acts - Equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Streaming Live Acts - Equipment Reply with quote

Hello,

I whould like to start a discussion to exchange knowledge about live streaming equipment.

We do a small non profit webradio www.audioasyl.net about 2 years and have sometimes livestreams from clubs, partys or concerts.

This is always quite a thing to get it working while we don't have money to buy high quality equipment.

We do the streaming and recording with an old Laptop and Winamp with Oddcast V3.

A question is about voices.... we have the problem that the voices are in a very bad quality.

As we have no sound engeneer, do you have any suggestions how we can have the voice of a live concert in a good quality maybe another Client?

http://audioasyl.net
Manuel Schneider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

we're also a non profit radio (FM / cable / web) and we also use streaming to our local icecast server inside the studio to handle live acts.

We have a notebook with Linux, an ISDN card (PCMCIA) and darkice.
Darkice is a console application which can handle several streams at once and reads from line in. You can dynamically assign the sound device it should use.

In the studio we have our sound box playing the stream onto the regular input of our mixing table so we can broadcast it as we do everything else.

Long ago when I had my own webradio I used liveice to stream (directly to the braodcast server) which also has a gauge so you see when the sound clips.

In both configuration I or we never had problems with the voices, it would be bad as we often use it to broadcast lectures etc.
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of voice? Speaking or Singing? How many people? How is the venue mic'd? What kind of mics are you using? Do you have a mixing desk?
bbk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: voice and more info Reply with quote

hello

first of all thank you for your replies.

to give you more information:

at the moment we use a very old laptop with an windows 2000 / winamp and oddcast_v3.

normaly we take the sound from the main mixtable on the liveset with two xlr cables then we put in a di-box for each line from there it goes into our own behringer mix-table after we take the sound into the laptops sound card on the mini-jack input (line-in).

we steam not always from the same place somtimes it is in clubs / concertrooms / haircutter / galleries....

so there are sometime two people singing a concert or a group having a dicussion about art..

as well we almost everytime have to take a powercable (switzerland norm) without a ground otherwise we have a big noise (brummmm)... but we don't really get rid of it sometimes.

at the same time we use the laptop to record the music to publish it later.

as i was streaming a concert the voices where in such a bad quality, hard to explain but the electronic music he was making was actually in a very good quality but the voice was much too loud.

i think it was the bad quality of the main mix-table on the live set but as well i whould like to improve our equipment (lowquality) to make the most of it.

it is already planned to install a gentoo-linux and muse on the laptop, i need to install an x-server because not all of us are very into the it, so it is easyer for them with a gui.

thank you for your advices or inputs.

http://audioasyl.net
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your problem is the sound mix. In ideal conditions you would have the mics fed into a splitter which is then distributed into three seperate mixing desks. 1 for broadcast, 1 for recording & 1 for sound reinforcement. To get optimum performance you need different mixing levels for each.

Obviously most of use don't get to live in that world. What you need is a small 4 channel mixer (I will call this the recording mixer), split the mic input between the DJ's desk & the recording mixer. You can then mix the volumes appropriatly between the output from the DJ & the mics. If you end up putting the DI boxes after the splitter, don't forget to turn on the ground lift on one pair and leave the others on ground, or you'll get a ground loop between the desks and cause hum.

It is worth remembering most DJs don't have a clue about sound engineering and won't be happy until they see red lights on their VU meters, at which point the sound is being clipped and it's too late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: