Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help setting up Icecast to stream NSV/VP62.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Need help setting up Icecast to stream NSV/VP62. Reply with quote

I set up an Icecast server to stream ~300kbit/s (+/- 100kbit) NSVs using VP62 video. I've run into a few problems however.

1. Listeners seem to be split 50/50 with buffer issues, half of them are having to rebuffer constantly while the other half aren't having to buffer at all (although when I connect to my own stream, it has to buffer twice when it starts up before it gets going, but not again after that). I know that my server has plenty of bandwidth however so this is not the bottleneck. Do I need to increase the timeouts? The burst size for burst-on-connect? What can I tweak to solve this?

2. Linux source clients for streaming NSV. I only know of 2 and neither is satisfactory. When I use sc_nsv, listeners get automatically dropped within 20 seconds, showing "listener has fallen too far behind, removing" in the error log. Perhaps this has to do with the note about not supporting non-whole number framerates? The video I tested with was 23.976fps, although a friend of mine streams the same videos using sc_nsv + shoutcast without issue.

When I use nsvscsrc-linux, it fails to update the stream title using the filename when using the /titles option. It also completely lacks desirable features.

3. It seems the mount point must end in .nsv for the stream to load correctly. Icecast automatically generates a "mountpoint.m3u" playlist file that's linked to from the status page, which is neat, but foo.nsv.m3u looks kind of silly and I'd rather just have foo.m3u. But if I specify foo.m3u as the mount point it fails to load correctly in winamp (it just attempts to download the playlist as an endless file). Do I have to set up a path alias to redirect foo.m3u to foo.nsv.m3u?

Thanks.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The only settings you can change within icecast to help in sending are the queue-size and burst size, the former is just for how much data icecast will keep around, so if the listener is not able to maintain the transfer rate then they will be kicked off. TCP Flow control could be an issue for the listener if they are far enough away.

2. As icecast doesn't parse the nsv format, the framerate precision is of no relevance to icecast, whether the players have issue is another matter. The message you posted is purely because the queue-size has been reached, if that is too small for a 300kbps stream then the tollerance will be small. Obviously it's hard to say when we don't have the queue and burst sizes.

3. icecast will allow you to place your own m3u file in webroot and you can use that instead of the automatically generated one. That way a /foo.m3u can contain a stream link that is /foo.nsv

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
1. The only settings you can change within icecast to help in sending are the queue-size and burst size, the former is just for how much data icecast will keep around, so if the listener is not able to maintain the transfer rate then they will be kicked off. TCP Flow control could be an issue for the listener if they are far enough away.
2. As icecast doesn't parse the nsv format, the framerate precision is of no relevance to icecast, whether the players have issue is another matter. The message you posted is purely because the queue-size has been reached, if that is too small for a 300kbps stream then the tollerance will be small. Obviously it's hard to say when we don't have the queue and burst sizes.

3. icecast will allow you to place your own m3u file in webroot and you can use that instead of the automatically generated one. That way a /foo.m3u can contain a stream link that is /foo.nsv

karl.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is my config:

Code:
<icecast>
    <limits>
        <sources>2</sources>
        <clients>100</clients>
        <threadpool>5</threadpool>
        <queue-size>1000000</queue-size>
        <client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
        <header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
        <source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
        <burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect>
        <burst-size>180000</burst-size>
    </limits>
    <authentication>
        <source-password></source-password>
        <admin-user>DrGamut</admin-user>
        <admin-password></admin-password>
    </authentication>
    <shoutcast-mount>/stream.nsv</shoutcast-mount>
    <hostname>lapsed.org</hostname>
    <listen-socket>
        <port>18000</port>
    </listen-socket>
    <listen-socket>
        <port>18001</port>
        <shoutcast-compat>1</shoutcast-compat>
    </listen-socket>
    <!-- <relay>
        <relay-shoutcast-metadata>1</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
    </relay> -->
    <fileserve>1</fileserve>
    <paths>
        <basedir>/home/drgamut/share/icecast</basedir>
        <logdir>/home/drgamut/var/log/icecast</logdir>
        <webroot>/home/drgamut/share/icecast/web</webroot>
        <adminroot>/home/drgamut/share/icecast/admin</adminroot>
    <alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
    <alias source="/stream.m3u" dest="/stream.nsv.m3u"/>
    </paths>
    <logging>
        <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
        <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
        <loglevel>3</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
    </logging>
    <security>
        <chroot>0</chroot>
    </security>
</icecast>

When streaming a video under this config using nsvscsrc, there's no buffer issues. When streaming the same video under the same config using sc_nsv, the client is dropped repeatedly after 20-40 seconds.
bhavatmaj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: