Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preventing the web status/admin pages being shown to listene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Preventing the web status/admin pages being shown to listene Reply with quote

Hi All

I trawled the forum, and didn't find any good info.

So I fiddled with .htaccess files in the web directory. Yep, you can deny/allow the pages being shown: but I was cutting off my encoders from being able to connect to the server!

As I am no programmer/.htaccess expert, and as it's not in the documentation: what is the recommended way to stop the web pages being shown to anyone (except via a defined private IP range), *yet* still allow clients to get the streams, and for encoders still to be able to connect?

Someone must have wanted to do this before Smile.

I just want to stop the html pages being displayed *unless* the source address is from a 172.6.x.x address.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of your post seems to refer to a web server as icecast does not use .htaccess files (icecast uses a htpasswd authentication on a mountpoint). Most people only use the status page or similar for expanding the connected mounts, rather than using icecast as a web server.

Trunk does allow for webroot files and xslt transformations to be authenticated, but only my branch work allows for you to define wildcards for these. For IP range checking you would need to use url based auth not htpasswd.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl

..you weren't aware that if you put an .htaccess file in the /web directory, it changes the behaviour? It does: I tested it!

Iceast2 (2.3.1) is reading in the parameters defined in the .htaccess and denying or allowing based on IPs I define. But it doesn't just affect the viewing of pages, it also affects connecting encoders.

Quote:
Trunk does allow for webroot files and xslt transformations to be authenticated

Do you know where could I find the actual documentation for this, please? Trawling the comments in the config files is tedious, and not very straightforward.

Quote:
but only my branch work allows for you to define wildcards for these

That's not needed, if I can just get an auth prompt for any web-browser request for what is normally presented at http://ip.address:8000/

Quote:
For IP range checking you would need to use url based auth not htpasswd.

I think I saw some notes on this in a recent post of yours: is there documentation or implementation notes?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you have been testing but just dropping a .htaccess in webroot will not cause icecast to use some special authentication unless it is tied to a <mount> definition. For 2.3.1, source clients are not affected but mount-defined authentication, if you say it is then post a section of the error log (level 4) which should indicate the failure.

We have the docs stored under the doc directory (default install location is /usr/local/share/doc/icecast/) , but depending on how you installed it will depend on whether it was installed elsewhere.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: