Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[WIN32] Several requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: [WIN32] Several requests Reply with quote

I've been using Icecast a little while now. And though it is working in WIN32 there are some minor points. Could be that this ain't the vision of the current developers, and that there would be a need for a different branch. I have no idea how these things work.

Here is the list of requests I'd find handy to see in Icecast.

1. Being able to start a service with a configuration bound to it. The service part is undocumented as far as I know, and only asked when you have installed the application.
It uses the icecast.xml by default, but this limits you to one server, and only that config file.
Since the only decent streaming server that works with winamp still is the shoutcast DSP, more servers have to be able to run.

2. Now the GUI is a server on it's own. But it has some handy features for the stats etc. When you run as a service or in console you can't check or alter any of those unless you go to the webpage. It would be handy if the GUI would check if the server is allready running, and get it's data from there. Maybe change the way it works now and use the service or console by default. Let the service start the console application and the gui too. And let the GUI read out and alter the data of that application. So it's more a frontbase then a server on it's own.

3. This one is pure speculation cause I have no idea how it works, just guessing. But Shoutcast DSP can only connect with the source password declared in the config, and not with the one in the mount point. Servers specific for Icecast make their own mountpoints. But couldn't there be made a shell around the Shoutcast DSP data so one is able to use a mount and still define it as shoutcast-mount so Icecast knows it has to use the extra listening port. That way more mounts are possible with one server, and you don't have to start multiple servers.
Another approach would be to bind a source password to a specific port(+1 ) but I guess that internally this comes to the same thing as what I said before.
Anyway if Icecast would be able to do such thing it would have more advantage over the Shoutcast Server.

4. The -b parameter of the icecast2console.exe doesn't put it in the background. No idea if it's a bug or a misinterpretatoin of the word background Smile

5. Another one with pure speculation since I don't have enough knowledge but.. The intro file has to be the same bitrate as the stream. Doesn't say anything about the code being used. But if this only has to be the exact bitrate nothing more, wouldn't it be possible to let Icecast transcode the file to the detected bitrate of the stream ? It is aware of what bitrate the stream is cause it's in the stats. I do know that Icecast meant to be a server and not a transcoder .. but it would ease things alot and would be innovative against other streamers Smile

And a final one. More documentation about the WEB part and other features such as the service would be great Smile With the web part I mean, it's XSL so one should be able to costumize it. But unless you know what XSL is noone will understand what is in the file, or how it works.
To be honnest, I do know what XSL is roughly, but I have no idea where I find the parameters.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: