Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continuous stream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Continuous stream Reply with quote

We've been using Icecast recently to broadcast our communitary radio live from another town. Since our budget is quite low, we saved a lot here compare to a solution such as a dedicated broadcast phone line.

Now that's its done and I have time to reconsider the whole thing, I would like to know if you see a way to get a continuous stream on client side. The problem we had was that the client (xmms) that was listening and retransmitting over FM was sometime losing the connection with the server and someone had to manually reconnect all the time.

Is there a plugin existing for xmms specialy made to handle such situation ? Any solutions ?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a plugin solution, but is the disconnection due to the network link to the icecast going down or the stream going down on the icecast server?. If the icecast is remote what you can do is run a local icecast which relays the stream but has a fallback to a fallback to either file or backup stream. That way the xmms is always connected locally and the relay can do a fallback-override when it comes back on line again.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably fails due to the network link to the icecast going down to the listener. There's should be a mecanism implemented into the listener client that makes that if there's no more data coming down then a new connection is established.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something you have to bring up with the player writers. A playlist can contain more than 1 entry but whether it loops and what other entries you use is another matter. If you specify the same network stream twice in the playlist then if the stream dies, reconnecting immediately is just going to fail.

karl.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something I tried but without too much success. What should be use is a kind of timeout doing that if there's no more data going down after Xtime,than it reconnects.

Have you written some documentation on how Icecast is working: I mean, how it does to stream data ? I would like to take a look on maybe one day. That would give me the chance to really "play" with the source code...
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a document on the internals of icecast, but it's not so hard to understand when given an overview of the process.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: how did u get it to stream live? Reply with quote

kinda off the help topic but what did u do to get it to stream the live audio? is there a plugin? is so where could i get it.

-Mnirr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: