Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icecast2.3.1, ices0.4: Every second song doesn't gets played

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Icecast2.3.1, ices0.4: Every second song doesn't gets played Reply with quote

Hello all,
i've setup icecast 2.3.1 and ices0.4 on a debian linux 3.1. I setup the configuration files and tried running icecast, which works fine. I tried playing some songs and the streaming seems to work.
I then made a playlist.txt, which looks like the following:

Code:
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Total Science - Prozac (Q Project Rmx) - CIA.mp3
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Visit httpOverXposureFM for more song info Our website also has CD purchasing features! [from the producer of httpOverXposureFM].mp3
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Adam F - Dirty Harry (Peshay & Decoder Rmx) - F-Jams.mp3
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Herbert Leave Me Now [from the 2001 release Bodily Functions].mp3

It ran and I connected using Winamp 5.12 (on Windows XP Prof.) and I heard the song. But after the next song begins (output from ices in the console) the title changes in winamp but I can't hear anything. If I reconnect, I can hear the song. The funny thing is, if I wait until the next song begins (song #3) I hear the following song.
It's like this pattern:

Song1 - can hear it
Song2 - can't hear it
Song3 - can hear it
Song4 - can't hear it

So I thought, maybe it's a problem with the songs, so I changed the order to:
Code:
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Visit httpOverXposureFM for more song info Our website also has CD purchasing features! [from the producer of httpOverXposureFM].mp3
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Total Science - Prozac (Q Project Rmx) - CIA.mp3
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Herbert Leave Me Now [from the 2001 release Bodily Functions].mp3
/var/www/webX/radio/stream/Adam F - Dirty Harry (Peshay & Decoder Rmx) - F-Jams.mp3

But it's again the same pattern so it can't be the songs:

Song2 - can hear it
Song1 - can't hear it
Song4 - can hear it
Song3 - can't hear it

I did a debug output, which you can grab here: http://www.quarz.cc/TEMP/debug.log.txt.

Has anyone an idea, what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks and with kind regards
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I tried some more and could it be, that I need to set up a fallback-stream? If so, how do I exactly do that? Because I don't use the stream-setup in icecast, I use the stream-setup in ices.

Thanks and with kind regards
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear what is happening from your description, for the tracks that you can't hear, is there data being streamed?, what is the format for the stream, mp3 at 44.1khz stereo? some of those files look to be at different rates, are you re-encoding ?

karl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello karl,
thank you very much for your answer.
After a track I heard, just the title switches to the next track, no data is being streamed. But when I stay connected (eg. do nothing), the data gets streamed again, after the "gap".
The stream format is audio/mpeg at 44.1 kHz stereo.
The files are at different rates, I'm not re-encoding. Could that be the problem?

Thank you and with kind regards.
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I know now, what caused that behaviour (thanks to your help Smile). Everytime the frequency and datarate between two songs switches to another (eg. 22.05 kHz to 44.1 kHz and 96kBit/s to 128kBit/s) the user needs to reconnect. How can I prevent this? re-encode?

Thank you and with kind regards.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't expect changes to samplerate and channels midstream will be handled by all players. You need to make your stream consistent, that may mean reencoding to lower settings.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: