Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong Settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Wrong Settings? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I would like to first thank everybody who has helped me get as far as I have gotten with IceCast and making this work in a separate online portal.

I am attempting now to move a step up and use IceCast for video streaming. I have setup a second mount point for this, but I think I may have the wrong settings, either in my icecast.xml.

I am using VLC to upload the video stream. Having tried different settings, I am still not able to view this online.

I am able to get VLC to connect to the IceCast server, and actually upload the stream. Going to my server:8000 I see the mount point active, and it appears to be okay.

However, when I try to view the stream, it never works.

This is what happens:

I tried two things simultaneously, one, going direct to the link, http://server:port/mount, and the page acts like it is loading...and this is all it does...

The second thing at the same time, I was trying JW Player to connect to the stream, and this remained a black screen. The counter was not counting up either.

I then hit stop in VLC, to stop the stream, and immediately both attempts to watch the screen suddenly changed.

JW Player suddenly gave an error. And the other page which was open direct to the stream suddenly showed some player as if it was trying to connect, but then obviously with the stream stopped, there was nothing to connect to anymore.

So, I think I am quite close, but I am unsure of why the stream doesn't seem to stream properly, if that makes sense.

Can anybody shed some light? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ChildOTK
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you saying the content is wrong or that the player is not working with the content correctly? try to check with another player that can support the format of the stream, maybe download a sample of it to a file with curl and see if it plays back ok. It could be a simple mountpoint extension issue.

karl.
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not certain what the problem is to be honest. I did try connecting to the stream with VLC on another computer...and it would not open on this either.

So three different methods never really worked. It appears that which ever way I go, that data gets downloaded, but, not played as if its live, you know what I mean?

I guess you are right in saying that it is not working with the content correctly. But, I would think VLC would be able to play it?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why, you haven't said what the format is or the url for anyone to check. The vague description sounds more like a browser downloading the stream rather than a playing capable of video playback

karl.
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

Is there any tutorial you may know of or something which can help me to try get this working. I just cannot get it to work. No matter what I try. It is probably something so simple.

I have been trying to stream (temporarily) my MAC's iSight camera, and at other times a video on the hard drive, but just cant get it to become 'live' on the website. In fact I can't really get anything to work on the website.

Any suggestions? Thanks again for your help.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezstream or ffmpeg2theora fed into oggfwd is known to work eg http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/. Using vlc is also possible

karl.
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Windows Vista (Via Bootcamp) on my mac, trying to use VLC.

I have tried streaming my desktop, as well as my iSight camera. In both cases I can check the 'display output' on VLC, so I can see what is going on, and I see this, and it shows it is streaming.

On my mount's statistics I see the counter for bytes received counting up, and no matter where I connect from, the bytes sent is always 0.

Are there perhaps any settings in the icecast.xml which could be wrong? Or perhaps the settings I am using in VLC? The settings I am using in VLC are pretty much the same as those I have seen by searching the web for a solution.

Other people appear to have used VLC to view their stream, while when I open up VLC on another system, it always acts like it is loading but never plays anything back.

I really am lost as to what the problem could be. The audio stream has been working perfectly, the other one you helped me setup with the URL authentication.

There is another site which apparently has a very good tutorial, but every time I open it, it gives an internal server error, so that doesn't help.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the stream address or the log details a secret or are we allowed to see those details? Are you running the latest version of icecast, does the log report that theora is detected. Do you have anything unusual in the xml like a burst size of 0. It's a bit difficult to say what the problem is when we have no idea of which version of icecast you are using, what format the stream is, what configuration is being used, no address to check, and no log details.

sent bytes of 0 would indicate that you are getting no data but you previously said that data is getting downloaded so it's still not clear what is actually happening. a really simple test is to use curl to download the data, if it comes down then the question is the content.

karl.
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, these are not a secret. I am running with icecast 2.3.2 on a CentOS 5.2 Server.

I have not checked the log to be honest, I have been trying to watch the VLC log. Maybe I should check the IceCast log.

There is a burst-on-connect and burst-size which has been set:

<limits>
<clients>100</clients>
<sources>2</sources>
<threadpool>5</threadpool>
<queue-size>524288</queue-size>
<client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
<header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
<source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
<burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect>
<burst-size>65535</burst-size>
</limits>

My mount setting is simply:

<mount>
<mount-name>/video.ogg</mount-name>
</mount>

When VLC is streaming to IceCast, it says the Application Type is "application/ogg"

I have tried again monitoring the IceCast log, and I get the following errors:

[2009-09-22 16:14:30] EROR format-ogg/process_initial_page Seen BOS page with unknown type
[2009-09-22 16:14:30] EROR format-ogg/ogg_get_buffer Problem processing stream

EDIT: So doing some searching after all this, it appears according to another post of yours what my icecast was built without theora support...which would explain a lot. Could you please tell me how to reinstall my icecast with theora support? Thanks Karl.

EDIT2: Karl, I figured it out. I never had libtheora-devel installed. I installed this, removed icecast, and reconfigured it etc. And now I have a picture.

However, the performance appears to be pretty slow...as far as how smooth the video is. Any suggestions on this?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandwidth limitation?

karl.
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I set that?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not an icecast setting, your hardware, provider and/or OS applies a bandwidth limit, maybe you have exceeded it. Hitting a limit in the bandwidth would cause buffers to drain away and cause playback problems. A max'd out CPU could also cause this. There can be all sorts of causes that affect smooth playback. First thing to do is save the content to a local file and then play it back. These are all basic steps to isolate the problem.

karl.
ChildOTK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have the video a lot smoother, but now the sound is glitching. Sounds like it stops and starts and does this continually. I have tried different bit rates and sample rates but it always does it.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like a player question or maybe a sound driver issue. starvation of the stream would affect video as well as audio.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: