Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefox + WMP Embeded = duplicate users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Firefox + WMP Embeded = duplicate users Reply with quote

Hi! I'm running Icecast 2.3.1 on a Win2003 Server box. Everything's running real fine, 'till I noticed one thing.

In my site, I use an embeded player to run my stream (mp3, 64kbps, 44.1Khz, mono). I use the following code to embed WMP:

<EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/" id="SubmusicaPlayer" name="SubmusicaPlayer" displaysize="4" autosize="-1" bgcolor="darkblue" showcontrols="true" showtracker="0" showdisplay="0" showstatusbar="-1" videoborder3d="-1" width="280" height="50" src="http://radio.submusica.com:8000/radio" autostart="true" designtimesp="5311" loop="true">
</EMBED>

I've been running this for over a year without any problems. However, I do noticed today that Firefox users are accessing the same streaming twice!

In the List Clients for mountpoint option in admin panel, I can see something like this for every Firefox user:

IP - Connected For - User Agent
201.37.189.179 - 6 seconds - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.5) Gecko/20060731 Firefox/1.5.0.5 Flock/0.7.4.1
201.37.189.179 - 4 seconds - NSPlayer/11.0.5358.4827 WMFSDK/11.0

As you can see, both the embedded WMP and the browser are downloading the stream. I've also noticed that the browser windows progress bar keeps running forever. When you press stop (or the ESC key), the progress bar stops, and on admin you can see that the Mozilla/5.0 client disconnects.

Have anyone seem this before? I believe it's a Firefox issue, since it don't happens on IE (damn!). Haven't tested on any other browsers yet.

My best regards
Cisneiros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Hey! Reply with quote

Sorry to dig an old topic, but I had this issue and just found a solution, so it may come handy to someone else.

The way I found to solve this is using javascript.

I have two javascript functions: playerStart() and playerStop().
The page starts with the player stopped.

Then the following javascript code is used:
Code:
onload=function(){
   playerStart();

}

function playerStart() {   
   // Do whatever you want to play your stream

setTimeout(function(){window.stop();}, 5000); // No more double listeners!
}
function playerStop() {
   // Do whatever you want to stop your stream
}

Pay special attention to the "setTimeout". It stops the page 5 seconds after you start playing.

See? When the page loads, it Plays the stream and, everytime it starts playing, it waits for 5 seconds and stops the browser [like pressing ESC]. It has to wait because... because... I have no idea, but it has to! If you put the window.stop() right after initializating the player, it just doens't work.

If it got too much confusing... well... sorry! Just ask and I'll try to clarify it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: