Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any ideas for automatic live stream switch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xl8r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Any ideas for automatic live stream switch? Reply with quote

Hi,

we are running a small event based webradiostation and we have confronted a small, but even more annoying problem that we have not been able to resolve:

Usually, our radioshows (or events, as we call them) consists multiple live streams from different locations. The problem is, that when the dj (source stream) changes, the previous stream has to disconnect and therefore all the listeners have to reconnect to the stream at this point.

We have managed to get by this problem by having a "broadcast studio" that have mixed the streams together manually (with an audiomixer), but this solution sucks bad, cause someone has to sit next to a mixer through the whole event (our events are very often three-days-straight).

What we are looking for now is a simple solution for this problem. Here's a small diagram to help to understand what we are looking for:

Now, before someone shouts "liquidsoap!" I'll have to tell you that we have tried that with success ...for a while. As the liquidsoap seems to work as I have intended, after a half an hour or so it stops to respond to the live feed and becomes non-resoponsive. I've tried this same configuration with different linux platforms (ubuntu, debian, etc.) on several different computers and even the windows port of liquidsoap, but the problem is same with every platform. This is pretty annoying, since liquidsoap would be just the thing that we would need.

If anyone has any ideas how we could solve this problem, please help!

Thanks

Mikko, Harder.fi Radio
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your unresponsive liquidsoap sounds weird. I use it on e ragular basis for many hosted streams, without a problem, et least with all of my Fedora 11/12 servers and opensuse 11 servers.
An issue might be a problem with python.

Could you provide more info about memory used by liquidsoap, and its evolution..
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the fallback handling in icecast not help you in this case?

listeners - > A
A is a mountpoint for sources
A falls back/override B
B is 24hr backup stream

The issue that is not clear is what you want to do on contention of access to A. How would you decide who connects/disconnects?

karl.
xl8r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
does the fallback handling in icecast not help you in this case?

listeners - > A
A is a mountpoint for sources
A falls back/override B
B is 24hr backup stream

The issue that is not clear is what you want to do on contention of access to A. How would you decide who connects/disconnects?

karl.

Thx, I did that, it does just what I hoped for Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: