Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The brand newbie to Ices-0.4 needs an initial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkido

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: The brand newbie to Ices-0.4 needs an initial Reply with quote

Hi Everyone at Ices, Source Client forum!

Please help a brand newbie about an initial installation of Ices-0.4 from tar.gz package. My enviroment is Fedora Core 4(FC4). Although I recognize it is a little old version, I found IceCast-2.3.1 and Ices-0.4 are present in IceCast community circa around 2004 or 2005, so I think Fedora Core 4 is acceptable enough environement to work on.

Now, let me go on. I loaded IceCast-2.3.1 on FC4 and it is partly working. Now, I further learned that I need to properly encode MP3 data file into a stream by Source Client such as Ices-0.4. Now, a newbie, I got an error at compilation of Ices-0.4 configure step. The message is,

configure: error: could not find a usable libshout.

Based on the previous sueestion at IceCast Server forum, I loaded both [libshout-2.2.1] and [libshout-devel-2.2-1] successfully. Therefore, my FC4 server has "libshout-2.2" already, although the PATH is not "Shout/shout.h" of configure file, and I guess this causes configure error to find "shout.h". I will post a couple of screen pictures, so will someone examine for me, and suggest me how to fix the error, or PATH adjustment etc. Thanks.

[img]http://64.214.83.249/htm/temporary_2/2010-01-27.ices-0.4__trial_01_SOURCES_dir_list.jpg[/img]
[img]http://64.214.83.249/htm/temporary_2/2010-01-27.ices-0.4__trial_02_configure_error_message.jpg[/img]
[img]http://64.214.83.249/htm/temporary_2/2010-01-27.ices-0.4__trial_03_whereis_shout.h.jpg[/img]
[img]http://64.214.83.249/htm/temporary_2/2010-01-27.ices-0.4__trial_04_whereis_libshout.jpg[/img]
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Fc4 is more tan old.. try upgradind to e more up-to-date FC release (current is FC 12 !)

Ices0 is also a non currently maintained release. But youcan still build it from source.
You need libshout-devel package.
Code:
yum install libshout devel
package install before build
mkido

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! jcr,

Now, I already got two suggestions from IceCast Forum to upgrade from FC4 to FC12 or else, so I can't resist the force of these suggestions. Alright. I will do it. However, the IceCast-2.3.1-0 and Ices-0.4 installation tests are going on with my business Web server (FC-4). And I don't want to do mess-up the content by the hurried transition from FC-4 to FC-12. So, here is my decision. I will get another Laptop PC, and I will install Fedora Core 12. Then, I will further work on your suggestion such as "yum install libshout-devel". Then, finally I will test connection the Fedora Core 12 server at server collocation ISP for short time testing. By this way, if something goes wrong, then I still can plug back the currently serving FC4 Web server back on the net.

It may sound slow and cautious but that is the way I always do. New versions of OS sometimes missed "OLD and WONDERFUL features", so I have to go through with how to supplement missed "OLD and WONDERFUL features" For this reason, transition to newer Operating System takes time. For example, gFTP, Hardware Browser, xmms, gedit's Input mode by transliteral switch to cyrillic. I can tell you many missing ones they were there and wonderful in FC-1 to FC-4, and they were gone in FC-7. I am not just a quick OS upgrade Web administrator. I need to figure out how to supplement "OLD and WONDERFUL goodies" whenever I upgrade OS.

Please give me a little while of time, before continue this thread. Thanks.
mkido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Why IceS 2.x for OggVorbis, why IceS 0.4 for MP3? Reply with quote

Why IceS 2.x for OggVorbis, why IceS 0.4 for MP3?

Now I got running an extra FC7 not FC12 yet, but it works pretty well with "yum install" Waht I did was,

# yum install icecast => in a few seconds, I loaded icecast 2.3.1-4.fc7.
# yum install ices => in a few seconds, I loaded ices 2.0.1-4.fc7.

No struggle. No compilation. Just accept "yum" suggestion. DONE! Online based installation. My question now is, I have no idea about OggVorbis format. For me, MP3 format sounds familiar and I saw them everywhere. So, I wanted to get started with "ices-0.4" for MP3 client software. However, I wasn't able to load "ices-0.4" by this simple "yum install". According to a rumor, IceS 0.4 hasn't maintained for newer Fedora Core releases.

May someone explain for me, what is the difference of OggVorbis vs MP3 ?? Why OggVoris is more popular in IceCast community than MP3 ?? Am I accessible to make OggVorbis sound format easily??

Sorry, sorry, a newbie needs to ask the basic question.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp3 has patent licensing issues, whereas ogg vorbis does not. icecast is a Xiph project and Xiph is here to promote free and open multimedia, so mp3 like aac is not really supported. Quality/bitrate wise, vorbis is far better than mp3

karl.
mkido

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Thank you, KarlH, again. Reply with quote

Hi! Thank you so much again for teaching a brand newbie. Many times of thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: