Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ices 2 and A-law source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khoral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Ices 2 and A-law source Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm trying to use Ices 2 on my Debian with a live source giving me some A-law encoded stream (8 bits, 8 KHz), and Ices refuse to take it as a source (error is "Failed to set sample format on /dev/mysoundcard")

Is there a way to make Ices accept my stream as it is ?
Or do I have to change my stream to a 16 bits, 8 KHz stream ? (if so, how can I do it live ?)

Thanks for the replies, and please forgive me for my english, cause it's not my native language ^^
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ices is geared up for 8bit audio. you should be ok with 8khz at 16 bits though.

karl.
Khoral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that, when I configure Ices in my ices.xml conf file, I configure an instance with 1 channel (cause the sound is mono) and 8000 as rate. That's the only two things you can configure in the xml for the source (then I can configure the encoder, but that's not the problem here).

So when I launch "ices2 ices.xml", it does nothing, and when I check the logs, I see Ices2 starting, then the error I wrote below ("Failed to set sample format on audio device /dev/mysoundcard : Invalid argument") and that's all :/
Seems like Ices can't transcode a-law to 8khz at 16 bits natively :/
Not really surprising when you look at the source code, cause it says :
Code:
int format = AFMT_S16_LE;

Which means "16 bit signed little endian sample format" (source : OSS 4.x API Reference)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: