Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie bandwidth question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Newbie bandwidth question Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sure this is a very basic question.

Looking for how to estimate the bandwidth requirements I'd have given a certain number of people connected to an mp3 stream. Is this simply 128kbits * number of connections? Don't know if there's a difference with this type of hosting or standard web hosting.

Thanks in advance,

Doug.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie bandwidth question Reply with quote

doug wrote:

Looking for how to estimate the bandwidth requirements I'd have given a certain number of people connected to an mp3 stream. Is this simply 128kbits * number of connections? Don't know if there's a difference with this type of hosting or standard web hosting.

yes, that is the basic rule to follow. It doesn't account of any overhead which you will always have (eg TCP) , so for mp3@128, use something like 140kbits * listeners.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. Any recommendations for a good host that would not be prohibitively expensive? The host we use now (we're not streaming obviously Smile ) provides top quality bandwidth, but would be too expensive.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought id chip in here, check out the links in my sig below
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(max number of streams + 1) * bitrate = total bandwidth needed

I add 5-10% to this number to give your self some extra room.

also, if your server is doing any other type of serving (web,mail,files, etc) then that cut into your available bandwidth...

you can use "quality of service" to prioritize streaming traffic on a server. I am going to start a thread about qos/tos... i think it needs to be discussed here, because alot of us have more than just streaming on our servers

as far as bandwidth goes... i have been using servermatrix.com
the prices have gone up a bit... (used to be $90/mo)

redhat enterprise linux 4
2.4ghz celeron
80gb hd
1024mb ram
1200gb bandwidth <----- good! (prolly not enough for 24/7 streaming though, unless its low bandwidth)
10mb connection
$120/month

they also have some unmetered (unlimited monthly bandwidth) starting at 20mbps connection !!!

try this bandwidth calc... breaks it down into hours,days,monthly usage
http://4faen.com/scbwc.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: