Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie problem with libshout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Newbie problem with libshout Reply with quote

Hi

I'm very new to streaming and I'm having trouble implementing what I think I need.

I have an app where i need to stream audio to a browser. In my debatable wisdom I decided to implement the source using libshout, the server icecast and the sink being the browser. I need to stream reasonable quality speech only. I have two problems, one right now and the other I think will hit me when I get over the first.

Using Ubuntu 10.04, libshout 2.2.2 and icecast 2.3.2.
Firstly I can't get libshout to connect to the server. On shout_open() it returns SHOUTERR_SOCKET. I have the right host and port set and have set all the other required members of shout_t. If I look in the icecast log no connect attempt is made. I tried ices just to see if that would connect and it did so I know the server is ok. I followed the only tutorial I could find. The only part of the call sequence I'm not sure about is setting the audio parameters, particularly bit rate.

Second I am using the speex codec and I'm not sure how I should push that data through icecast. I think it needs an OGG wrapper. I then want to consume that using the audio facility in HTML5.

Any advice from the experts here would be appreciated.

-bob-[/list]
bobc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering my own question (part 1) in case anyone else hits the same problem. I tried out the Python bindings and they worked. On looking at the example code it seemed that the mount point was not optional. I have no idea what the mount point is for and the tutorial at http://www.aelius.com/njh/libshout-doc/libshout.html pretty much indicated it was optional. Anyway, not setting it gives a socket error. Don't ask me why.

Can anybody out there enlighten me on what the mount point is for please.

I am raising the second question in another thread as I broke my own rule of never asking more than one question in one posting.

-bob-
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As icecast can handle multiple streams on the same server, the mountpoint is used to identify which stream. Would you expect a web server to only serve 1 file?

karl.
bobc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. No I wouldn't, but then I'm not serving files at all I'm encoding a stream and passing it straight through. The error was a bit misleading as well.

-bob-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: