Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The beginning in setting up Icecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amature DJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: The beginning in setting up Icecast Reply with quote

I have a windows platform and currently running Icecast on a dedicated server.

I do have so many questions but my very first important question is how to code the Icecast windows server so that all files mount to one url/port only.

I have left everything by default except change the port and passwords in the xml file. What special code would it take to have all the encoders streaming through that one port I choose. For example I tried playing an ogg file and it wasnt coming through my website player so my question is how to fix this?

Mp3 plays through the flash player but not ogg files, I know am missing or simply doing something wrong on my end or is there some type of code to add to the xml config file so it all mounts to the same player? Need some help and thank you.
Amature DJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any help please?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing that no one else has responded. The fact that flash is not capable of playing ogg content is a question you need to raise with their developers, icecast handles ogg streams just fine. I only know of ffmp3 that play vorbis in flash.

The one port aspect is not a major issue as icecast works via one or more ports. From an encoder or source client point of view, if you use an icecast compatible source client then one 1 port is required but if you use a shoutcast compatible source client then you need 2 ports

karl.
Amature DJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
seeing that no one else has responded. The fact that flash is not capable of playing ogg content is a question you need to raise with their developers, icecast handles ogg streams just fine. I only know of ffmp3 that play vorbis in flash.

The one port aspect is not a major issue as icecast works via one or more ports. From an encoder or source client point of view, if you use an icecast compatible source client then one 1 port is required but if you use a shoutcast compatible source client then you need 2 ports

karl.

Hi karl thank you for responding.

The easiest method on this for anyone would be to have the media server convert the vorbis file coming threw the server and play it out regardless what it is as a mp3.

The question is this now, I have found very good information but we need someone who is technically good and that can explain to us who ever is interested in how to do this on a windows platform http://iwtf.net/2010/01/04/linux-ogg-and-mp3-streaming-server/ ?

I hope you understand where im coming from with this?

Thanks
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could use something like vlc with the required plugins to read the content and send to icecast as if it is a source client. Obviously icecast itself cannot do this because of patent concerns.

karl.
Amature DJ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
you could use something like vlc with the required plugins to read the content and send to icecast as if it is a source client. Obviously icecast itself cannot do this because of patent concerns.

karl.

Ok so the next question is how to stop ogg,aac etc.. to prevent dj's trying to stream to my icecast server? How to set it in the config xml (some type of code) to allow only mp3 and stop everything else from coming threw icecast?

Thanks
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unusual restriction really. without kicking off an automated client to take a snapshot and verify it, the facility is not available.

I suppose content type could be passed via stream_auth to allow that sort of restriction but 2.3.2 does not have that facility and the type isn't passed in trunk or kh but could be made to. The other possibility is to match the strings against the <mount> setting and deny if it does not match.

karl.
Amature DJ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
An unusual restriction really. without kicking off an automated client to take a snapshot and verify it, the facility is not available.

I suppose content type could be passed via stream_auth to allow that sort of restriction but 2.3.2 does not have that facility and the type isn't passed in trunk or kh but could be made to. The other possibility is to match the strings against the <mount> setting and deny if it does not match.

karl.

Hi Karl, still this doesn't give me any good answers in preventing other media files from streaming. Unless I am not seeing the full picture here? Since Icecast is not decoding any files this should be valid reason to why it should only accept mp3 or we would have to have 2 players installed instead of just one. I don't want 2 players installed to make the world happier and my site uglier.

Can you come out and tell me bit more specific what I need to do in order to stop/prevent completely other files from streaming threw Icecast as I have mentioned I only want mp3 to stream nothing less nothing more?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already indicated, the way to do this with any version of icecast is you take a snapshot of the stream, eg 5 seconds (maybe using curl), and check the format of the saved sample. You can use the mount_add or on-connect mount setting to start that off and if the sample taken is not in the expected format then use /admin/killsource to terminate the stream.

The other options would need some coding change to check the type.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: