Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ices <defunct> 100+ zombie process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad1212

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: ices <defunct> 100+ zombie process Reply with quote

CentOS 6.3 - 64bit

Hello @ all!

We have a problem with that zombie processes... Any Solution for that?

psa|grep defunct
29428 pts/0 S+ 0:00 | \_ grep defunct
25124 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [ices] <defunct>
25164 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25166 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [ices] <defunct>
25222 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25224 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25226 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [ices] <defunct>
25275 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25277 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25279 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [ices] <defunct>
25328 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25330 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [ices] <defunct>
25388 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [php] <defunct>
25390 ? ZN 0:00 \_ [ices] <defunct>
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that ices is zombie would indicate that whatever the parent is having the problem. It's not clear whether the php is invoked from ices or not from the listing.

karl.
carlosjpr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Same problem with CentOS 6.3 64bit Reply with quote

Same problem with CentOS 6.3 64bit. Any Solution?

500 32732 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Z 09:33 0:00 [php] <defunct>
500 32734 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Z 09:33 0:00 [ices] <defunct>
1000+
sblinch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
the fact that ices is zombie would indicate that whatever the parent is having the problem. It's not clear whether the php is invoked from ices or not from the listing.

Hi Karl,

This seems to be turning into a fairly common problem so I thought I'd contribute what I know about this so far.

ices itself is the parent process, and this problem occurs when using the script-based playlist support in ices0 trunk. It seems that whenever ices forks and execs the playlist handler script, it does not reap the process when it terminates. (In the posts above, the defunct php process is the playlist handler script itself, although the problem persists regardless of what application you're using as a playlist handler script -- I've tried compiled binaries as well.)

The interesting part is that this ONLY appears to manifest in ices0 builds that are built on CentOS 6.3. If you build the exact same source tarball on Debian Squeeze, for example, the resulting binaries do not exhibit this problem. Further, if you copy the compiled ices0 binary and libs from a Debian machine to a CentOS 6.3 machine, the Debian binaries work fine under CentOS 6.3 and the child processes are reaped correctly.

I haven't had time to investigate further but my guess is that CentOS 6.3 is using a more modern build toolchain or standard libraries than other distros, and that we'll probably see similar behavior once those distros pick up those changes.
carlosjpr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sblinch wrote:

Hi Karl,

This seems to be turning into a fairly common problem so I thought I'd contribute what I know about this so far.

ices itself is the parent process, and this problem occurs when using the script-based playlist support in ices0 trunk. It seems that whenever ices forks and execs the playlist handler script, it does not reap the process when it terminates. (In the posts above, the defunct php process is the playlist handler script itself, although the problem persists regardless of what application you're using as a playlist handler script -- I've tried compiled binaries as well.)

The interesting part is that this ONLY appears to manifest in ices0 builds that are built on CentOS 6.3. If you build the exact same source tarball on Debian Squeeze, for example, the resulting binaries do not exhibit this problem. Further, if you copy the compiled ices0 binary and libs from a Debian machine to a CentOS 6.3 machine, the Debian binaries work fine under CentOS 6.3 and the child processes are reaped correctly.

I haven't had time to investigate further but my guess is that CentOS 6.3 is using a more modern build toolchain or standard libraries than other distros, and that we'll probably see similar behavior once those distros pick up those changes.

Hi,

Could you send me your ices-cc compiled on Debian Squezze and tell me how do I replace it on CentOS 6.3? I compiled the ices-cc on Debian Squeeze and then copied the folder ices to CentOS 6.3. On my server with CentOS 6.3 continued appearing zombies processes, but more slowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: