Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible to have multiple dump files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonapeptide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Possible to have multiple dump files? Reply with quote

An odd problem has come up for which one way to solve it would be to have two separate dump files for one stream. I've put two <dump-file> directives for the same mount point like this:

Quote:
<mount>
<mount-name>/wwww</mount-name>
<dump-file>C:\local_archives\wwww\live.mp3</dump-file>
<dump-file>Q:\remote_archives\wwww\live.mp3</dump-file>
</mount>

However, Icecast 2.3.3-kh8 appears to only honor the last <dump-file> directive that it encounters. As odd as it might sound, is there a way to have one mount point output two dump files simultaneously? Or perhaps that could be a feature request? Very Happy
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dump file mechanism is not that advanced, it has always been hardcoded as a single entity. You can use something like wget/curl to save the stream, kicked off from on-connect if you wish. Whether it is worth fixing dump-file up has been unclear, not much call for it

karl.
Nonapeptide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
The dump file mechanism is not that advanced, it has always been hardcoded as a single entity. You can use something like wget/curl to save the stream, kicked off from on-connect if you wish. Whether it is worth fixing dump-file up has been unclear, not much call for it

karl.

I readily admit that my scenario is ugly and driven by some irritating client infrastructure that can't, at the moment, be fixed the way I'd like (which is the way that would make things like multiple dump files not be necessary). I'm looking into some curling and wgetting in various forms at the moment, and I'd love to use on-connect, but for the last year I've ignored it because in the documentation it says (emphasis mine):

Quote:
on-connect

State a program that is run when the source is started. It is passed a parameter which is the name of the mountpoint that is starting. The processing of the stream does not wait for the script to end. This option is not available on win32

I didn't even think to test it to see if the documentation is wrong. Does on-connect really work on the Windows IceCast? That would make for some amazing possibilities!
Nonapeptide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Dump files are really, really important to what I do. I humbly ask you to be kind to them and their code. Laughing
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, your on windows. yeah the code is not built on windows, there are the windows alternatives as usual but win32 is just a pain to code for specifically. The other trigger that does work on win32 is the URL authentication trigger for mount_add eg

<authentication type="url">
<option name="mount_add" value="http://...." />
</authentication>

that could also be used to trigger any curl or wget type of operation. As for extending the dump file, it's not that I'm opposed to it but it will be in a queue of other things, throw up a report on github then at least it is there as a reminder.

karl.
Nonapeptide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
ah, your on windows. yeah the code is not built on windows, there are the windows alternatives as usual but win32 is just a pain to code for specifically. The other trigger that does work on win32 is the URL authentication trigger for mount_add eg

<authentication type="url">
<option name="mount_add" value="http://...." />
</authentication>

that could also be used to trigger any curl or wget type of operation. As for extending the dump file, it's not that I'm opposed to it but it will be in a queue of other things, throw up a report on github then at least it is there as a reminder.

karl.

Yes, this client is currently using Windows servers as their platform, but I have plans to move them to a CentOS backend for their streaming (contingent upon their success or failure with a new offering), and that will be a joyous day. And I always forget about the utility in the auth-url options! There's so much functionality and extensibility available there that could potentially solve some of my problems I'm strongly considering making a GitHub project to drop a pretty front end on a bit of logic to accept and take action on those POSTs (would probably be a Sinatra or RoR project though).

I've been perusing the IceCast GitHub account for a while now and my C skills are dusty, rusty, and ill developed. I'm more of a Ruby person myself; never had much luck with lower languages. Very Happy Maybe I should just hunker down and give it a go to see if I can handle adding some features...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: