Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.3.2 dropping listeners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: 2.3.2 dropping listeners Reply with quote

Hi, we're running the Icecast server version 2.3.2 on a RHEL 5.8, quad-core 2GHz 4GB RAM Dell server.

For reasons unknown to us, a stream gets to ~100 listeners, and then when more listeners try to log on, existing listeners get dropped, intermittent or encounter screeching noises.

The listeners are using either Firefox/Chrome browsers or VLC on Windows/Linux/Mac to connect to the Icecast stream.

By dropped, I mean that listeners who are hearing the stream fine, just get cut out, and have to restart VLC and reconnect to the stream. By intermittent, I mean sound cuts in and out.

I've tried bumping up the "clients" setting in icecast.xml to 500, and the "max-listeners" to 2000, to no avail. As far as I can tell, the CPU and RAM usage of the icecast process is negligible. The server load itself is low, and the server is located at a data center so it's also not network bound.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the issue, and possible fixes?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting a client limit would not affect existing listener playback. A tipping point of 100 listeners causing problems across the board would indicate a capacity limit, CPU or more likely, bandwidth.

100 is not that high either so cpu load is not likely to be an issue, check the "vmstat 1" output to check (there may be other tasks in a busy loop). If there is a bandwidth limiter or congestion kicking in then you would see the send-Q values (netstat -tnp | grep icecast) increasing. Check the error log for "fallen too far behind" messages?

karl.
internetxs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello i have allot of those "has fallen too far behind" message I am running the icecast installation on a VPS and i really don't know where to look to.

If somebody has any suggestions please help.

Kind regards,

Martin
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VPS is generally a bad idea a time sensitive apps. If you are getting those messages then your listeners are not getting the data quick enough, this could be down to bandwidth throttling or some extreme settings in your system configuration. From an icecast point of view, the default burst is 64k and the queue is 512k, this should be fine for the typical audio setups. The "fallen too far behind" message comes about because the listener has reached the 512k point, which will typically mean that the sending rate to the listener cannot be maintained. First thing you should clarify, in what way is your VPS restricted? and 100 * stream bitrate is what?

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: