Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[tip] starting icecast automatically at startup (linux)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> F.A.Q.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: [tip] starting icecast automatically at startup (linux) Reply with quote

some ideas for getting icecast to run automatically

run icecast automatically at startup (rc.local script method):

1. you should be running icecast as a non-root user. create the user if you havent already, and make sure you can login with that user (ie, ssh or console)
2. create and assign ownership (if you havent already) of the /var/log/icecast directory. make sure the directory is owned by the user that will be running icecast or logging might fail
example:
Code:
 chown username /var/log/icecast
(where username is the above user)
3. place the following in your local startup script - varies by distro (ex: redhat = /etc/rc.d/rc.local)
Code:
 su -l username -c '/path/to/icecast -c /path/to/configfile &'

reboot the box; check that its working

note: this is a non-interactive startup (meaning you dont get any console output), but that really isnt necessary, as you just check to see that icecast webpage is up and running at http://youricecastip:youricecastport/ (Ex: http://localhost:8000/). If you see a icecast page, then its running ok. also, check your logs often, as that is always a good idea

The easiest way to shutdown icecast is with the
Code:
 kill pid

command, where pid is the process id of icecast. Use
Code:
ps -C icecast
to find the pid of icecast.

------------
this was tested on Redhat and should work on most systems
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: a question about directory Reply with quote

hello i view this exellent post but when i go to /var/log/icecast directory i do not found,
my cuestion is if i have to create this and if the access.log and error.log should be in /var/log/icecast directory because i have these in the /path/to/icecast directory and my second cuestion is if i am to do right write the next in the rc.local su -l username -c '/var/www/vhost/domain/icecast -c /var/www/vhost/domain/icecast/icecast.xml &'
if somebody can help me please answer this post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> F.A.Q. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: