Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash + MP3 Streaming + ID3 Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LerkeR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Flash + MP3 Streaming + ID3 Tags Reply with quote

So, I'm making a flash app for my site that streams off my icecast2 station. I have it working so that it plays the songs, but heres my question:

Does anyone know how to get the ID3 tags from it?

I've tried the basics of getting them from an MP3 file but can't seem to get it to work.
MikeS
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An icecast stream does not contain ID3 tags.

The flash client is not, to my knowledge, capable of requesting or using the shoutcast-style inline metadata (which is, may I say, a horrendous hack - what a nasty protocol!) used by icecast servers.

Mike
LerkeR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeS wrote:
An icecast stream does not contain ID3 tags.

The flash client is not, to my knowledge, capable of requesting or using the shoutcast-style inline metadata (which is, may I say, a horrendous hack - what a nasty protocol!) used by icecast servers.

Mike

Okay, I wasn't sure weither icecast used ID3 tags, but I didn't know what else to call them.

So there is no way to obtain the artist and track title data from the stream through flash?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was just looking at the web status page of the server and noticed it says the artist & track title. Looking at the status.xsl data I see this:

Code:
  <td>Current Song:</td>
- <td class="streamdata">
- <xsl:if test="artist">
  <xsl:value-of select="artist" />
  -
  </xsl:if>
  <xsl:value-of select="title" />
  </td>

Is it possible to somehow have flash read the artist and title values?
ice_bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: icecast streamign id3 Reply with quote

can anyone explain the reason (in technical terms) why icecast/shoutcast do not stream id3 tags? from the players point-of-view an id3 frame should not cause problems with the stream, it will be parsed/ignored and the player should move on to the next valid "data" frame, right?
thanks.
aguenter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LerkeR wrote:
Well, I was just looking at the web status page of the server and noticed it says the artist & track title. Looking at the status.xsl data I see this:

Code:
  <td>Current Song:</td>
- <td class="streamdata">
- <xsl:if test="artist">
  <xsl:value-of select="artist" />
  -
  </xsl:if>
  <xsl:value-of select="title" />
  </td>

Is it possible to somehow have flash read the artist and title values?

Sure, have Flash read status.xsl as an XML object and use the onData handler to extract the plain text. Then, you can parse the string as you wish.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: icecast streamign id3 Reply with quote

ice_bear wrote:
can anyone explain the reason (in technical terms) why icecast/shoutcast do not stream id3 tags? from the players point-of-view an id3 frame should not cause problems with the stream, it will be parsed/ignored and the player should move on to the next valid "data" frame, right?
thanks.

If a source client places ID3 tags midstream then icecast will ignore it and pass it through to the player. Many ID3 tags though are placed at the end of the files that are read by the source client.

karl
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flash client fixes this problem: http://forum.icecast.org/viewtopic.php?t=2404
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the ideas.. Reply with quote

Ultimately, I ended up with this:

http://www.sheer.us/code/flex/wshr.mxml

I used a mod of Rich43's solution for metadata, although I parse the status out in the php, and wiiamp's solution for the memory leak issue. Thanks, all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: