Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icecast on Mac OS X: limit on number of streams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Icecast on Mac OS X: limit on number of streams? Reply with quote

I've set up an icecast 2.3 server in Mac OS X 10.4.6 on a MacBook Pro. I've configured it to serve up to 2000 streams at once. I'm feeding MP3 streams to icecast by running one instance of IceS 0.4 for each stream, on the same machine as the icecast server. When I add streams one at a time, the CPU usage of icecast goes up more or less linearly until it's at about 16% with 248 streams. When I add the 249th stream it suddenly jumps to 96% and I'm not able to "tune in" to any of the streams anymore.

I've found that by running multiple instances of icecast on the server, each on a different port, I can manage about 600 streams at a time this way (600 instances of IceS, 200 feeding to each of 3 instances of icecast) before the CPU starts to get saturated.

Does anyone have any insight into what's happening in icecast when I add that 249th stream? I can run multiple instances as a workaround, but it would be nice to not have to do that.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each stream will be processed by a thread, and I suspect that 248 + some other threads (YP, slave etc) makes it say 255. There will be a per-process thread limit, eg PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX, do you know what it is? Our own testing did show 1400 streams was possible (x86 linux) so it's not an icecast limit.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: