Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic questions about streaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Basic questions about streaming Reply with quote

Hi,

i am working for a scientific Project (Language Analysis). We always use big speech recordings, and we cant send them to the client. So we need some Streaming technology. We already decided to use a Player build up with Macromedia Flash.

So heres my question:

1. Can Icecast provide the client a detail (cut-out) from the MP3, when the client send a request like: "Play me the example.mp3 10 seconds, starting with second 535". With http of course.

2. Can I request such a Stream with Macromedia Flash from Icecast server?

3. Can I install Icecast on a Solaris System?

If this all is not possible: Can you tell me a possible other Solution for this all?

regards,
Jascha
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The fserve engine will handle downloads from certain byte postions, for anything more involved like creating a per-listener stream will require some source client app.

2. Flash AFAIK can only handle mp3 (and that is poorly) but whether it can do request ranges I cannot say.

3. If icecast doesn't run on solaris then by all means let us know, it's not a platform we have access to be make sure but nothing should prevent it working on solaris.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
1. The fserve engine will handle downloads from certain byte postions, for anything more involved like creating a per-listener stream will require some source client app.

Thank you for quick reply. But im afraid, I have further questions Smile

1. What is the fserve engine, and how can I control it?
2. Is there any custumizable player for .ogg files?

regards
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The fserve engine is just the straight file serving code, typically used for getting hold of the xsl/xml related files, but can be used for transferring media files.

2. There are various players for ogg, often they are plugins tocommon players (winamp/xmms/real/helix/vlc/wmp and java based players). Whether they are customisable enough for yourself I can't say.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: