Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connection time with Windows Media Player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loic_gram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Connection time with Windows Media Player Reply with quote

Hi,

I have configured an Icecast server (version 2.3.1) which will be used by 6 radios : http://ks358997.kimsufi.com:8000

All is OK for all players, [i]except Windows Media Player (WMP version 9 to 11), even if the stream is in MP3 with constant bitrate format[/i]
In such situation, the stream is played correctly, but connection time with WMP is anormaly long, from 10 to 30 seconds, as connection time with others players (winamp, VLC, Itunes, gnome-vfs, audacious ...) is about 3 seconds.

This phenomenon can be tested with stream http://ks358997.kimsufi.com:8000/sunhd.mp3 with is in correct format (MP3 CBR). This stream is encoded with edcast.

The problem is not caused by the stream itself, as same stream sent by shoutcast server is connected with WMP in about 3 seconds ... but when this stream is relayed by icecast, the WMP connection time from 10 to 30 seconds occurs !
(It was just a test, this stream is now directly send to icacast).

The icecast server runs on ubuntu server hardy heron, but same phenomenon has been tested with icecast 2.3.1 on windows.

I have tested parameter modification (like burst-on-connect, burst-size and timeouts) unsuccessfully.

In error.log file, following message appears only with WMP and not with others players :
DBUG format/format_check_http_buffer processing pending client headers

If anyone has a solution or a workaround, many thanks !
May version 2.3.2 correct this issue ?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, it sounds like wmp has some huge buffer to fill before playback is started. With shoutcast the burst -size is massive, like 1 or 2 Meg, the default for icecast is 64k. So you could try to increase that to something similar (make sure queue-size is that bit more than the burst size), or you could check the wmp settings for the buffering.

karl.
loic_gram

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Burst-size optimal setting Reply with quote

Hi,

Excuse me, I've not answer sooner, as we tested many settings with many clients and client's versions.

For us, the optimal burst-size setting (for WMP and all other clients) is 350k
for example :
<queue-size>382301</queue-size>
<burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect>
<burst-size>349533</burst-size>

With this setting, connection time is 4 seconds with WMP, 2 seconds with winamp and 3 seconds with other players.

Higer settings don't decrease significally connection time, but increase too much the delay between studio and listener.

Many thanks for your help.

Loic
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buffer filling time will vary depending on the bandwidth of the connection, post 2.3.2 builds do lessen the initial phase a bit more but if you want a large burst then do allow for a reasonable amount for the queue size, 30k difference is tiny.

karl.
JasperE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this exact same problem. I have solved it by installing a different version of lame_enc.dll than the one from the URL provided by the edcast installer.
I installed the lame_enc.dll version from this url, restarted edcast and WMP buffering was back to normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: