Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

headers not sent on change to or from fallback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bencoder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: headers not sent on change to or from fallback Reply with quote

I may be wrong here and perhaps there is some other explanation, but it would seem that headers are not sent when someone changes from the fallback to live or from the live to the fallback.

I.E. If listeners are listening to the live stream and the source disconnects, they go back to the fallback, which currently may be at a different sample rate/resolution(if video). The listeners therefore get mangled audio or a frozen video until the next track/video in the playlist comes on. The same appears to happen when moving from the fallback to a live source, the headers don't get sent to those listening clients who get shifted.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, there are no headers sent over fallback because no player knows how to process http style headers midstream, not that the headers would actually provide any reliable information in regard to the content. Do not expect players to handle changes to the content format (eg samplerate/channels) or the codec midstream, although some do handle the former. This is why it is required to make sure the fallback content is the same format as the originating stream.

karl.
bencoder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, perhaps I got the terminology wrong, what I meant was that it doesn't send the header/metadata for the file that it's currently playing, like it does when it changes track or when a new connection joins in the middle of a track.
It may not be recommended, but changes in bitrate or resolution do work with some players and it is those I am targetting. I'm not sure I understand why moving from one mountpoint to a fallback (where stream metadata is not sent) should be any different than moving from one track in a stream to the next (where the metadata is sent) or when you connect in the middle of a track (where metadata is also sent)
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking for non-ogg streams, then if you don't send metadata when you switch mountpoints then corruption occurs on the stream . Remember ID3 has nothing to do with shoutcast metadata inserts and those inserts actually break the codec specification so the player has to remove them from the stream before decoding.

None of this is related to changes in samplerate/channels etc and that is possible with icecast, just not advised because of listeners software limitations.

karl.
bencoder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
If you are talking for non-ogg streams

I'm using ogg streams. It doesn't matter too much, I have found a solution for now of just including a very short clip before the first item in the playlist, so the short clip never plays but when the first item starts it sends the data and the client adjusts resolution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: