Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(fixed) Metadata doesn't apply correctly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: (fixed) Metadata doesn't apply correctly Reply with quote

Hi!

I've been using KH10 for a while, now swithced to KH20 (all Win32) to see how it goes on this topic. Just to mention, I'm using as source client Edcast/Oddcast (tried old and new versions) as a Winamp plugin, to create a live stream from the souncard input. (AAC+ and MP3)

I have set inside Edcast a link to a txt file which updates regularly from the broadcast automation system with the current title of the item on air. Edast always gets successfully this txt (4 seconds interval), the line is properly shown in Edcast plugin window. So it's not a question of chaching.

However, on Icecast's status page, and in the stream itself, the metadata isn't updated correctly. Sometime it is, sometime it's not. For each mount, I have the mp3-metadata-interval set to 8192.

The same edcast plugin creates both streams (same content in AAC and MP3). Really strange to see that metadata shown on Icecast page and in the stream itself by the players is different. Sometimes an old title is stuck in (not updated) only on one (either AAC or MP3), or both. Sometimes it is.

As I said: tried different KH versions and edcast source versions: similar.

What can I do?

Last edited by robertut on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
robertut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very frustrating. I'm absolutely sure it's not the source client's fault, because the same version worked perfectly back in 2.3.1 KH days.

Not character encoding problem either...
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send me the error log for around the time the metadata updates occur (log level 4). I'm not aware of any issue causing that effect.

karl.
robertut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mail sent.
robertut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, issue fixed. I'll quote some of the conversation I had by e-mail with Karl, because it may be useful for others:
karlH wrote:
I certainly don't see any incoming client getting lost and normal streaming does seem to be occurring without issue. You could try monitoring the network connections from the source client end with wireshark or similar to see if both aac and mp3 metadata connections are attempted, maybe they are getting failed connection attempt. I certainly don't see them getting to icecast.

Well, this brought me the idea:
robertut wrote:
we're using NOD32 Antivirus (v4.0.442) on the source client machines (WinXPs running Edcast as a Winamp plugin), which has a pretty strong TCP protocol analyzer. Maybe it has to do with it, so I temporarily disabled this module of the antivirus, to see if it improves.

And indeed. This fixed it:
karlH wrote:
In your setup, those requests will look very similar, 2 connections going to the same IP/port and the query args are the same (and may look odd if there are non-ascii chars encoded), the A/V software may be thinking that it's a virus trying to spread. so it may be seeing the first one, thinks "hmm I'll keep a note of that" and then sees a similar one (for the second mountpoint) and blocks it

So it's possible, maybe you can put an exception into the A/V software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: