Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording while streaming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noleftturn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Recording while streaming? Reply with quote

Hi there,

We're setting up a stream of the 2 way radio chatter for our neighbourhood watch radios so that residents can monitor it over the internet. This part is pretty straightforward and we've done it before.

The part we're not sure about is that we'd also like to record the audio and store it, preferably in ogg to the server's hard drives, preferably in hour long files.

Is something like this very easy to implement?

thanks in advance
j.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want time limited files then just kick off a 1 hour cron job that starts a curl process saving the stream for 1 hour.

karl.
liteFun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about <max-listener-duration>3600</max-listener-duration> and crontab for wget?
Icecast is capable of kicking listeners out after specific duration, why not use it, and use best ever "recording tool for internet radio" wget to grab that ogg from Icecast?
I always save my shows with wget. Also, wget is ported for Windows too, maybe MacOS has it's own too. Originally equipped with Linux distros.
reel-radio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Lantrecord audio afterswitching from shoutcast. Reply with quote

We have a similar problem. We operate a campus radio and we just switch from shoutcast to icecast. So far we're very happy, but we have a problem with recording our audio. Before, we had configured cron jobs that would record our shows and then upload the files on our Web server.

The cron jobs still fire up but we get the following error:

(eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
Code:
ERROR:  Connecting chainsetup failed: "Enabling chainsetup: AUDIOIO-OSS: unable to open OSS-device to O_RDONLY (16)"

Here an example of the command we use to record the audio:
Code:
aoss ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o show_name.mp3 -t 180

I'm not very familiar with Icecast, so my guess is that it lock the audio input some how. Is there a way I can configure Icecast so my old scripts work or could you suggest an alternative way to record our audio?
DJ-Zath

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a "archive" system where I use a "grabber" to get the audio stream off Icecast, and then record it into an immediately-downloadable file (say, like a Podcast..)

I use sh scripts to set up a "timer" to prevent accidental filling of the hard drive in case an admin forgot to stop the archive..

the advantage to doing it this way was to not have to stop and start the stream for the archive and to allow direct control from an Eggdrop..

works VERY nice!

I never thought to use Wget... I'll definately try that! (though setting up the agent-switches could be a challenge)

I can see wget managing the filenames and help build a nice little archive of more than one recording at a time.. neat idea!

-DjZ-
Smile Smile
sposob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: grab multiple streams at same time automatcially?? Reply with quote

hi!
i want to grab from one icecast server multiple streams automatically when they appear. it's a server for artists and they just stream from time to time (like every month) and sometimes all at the same time (up to three/four streams). i also want to stop the recording as soon as they disappear.

now i tried to see whether i can do that with wget and automatize this, so i don't have to be there and turn on/off manually also with the names of the mountpoints (that change the whole time and are never the same). but http does not accept wildcards. so any ideas of how i can achieve that?

can i use the <dump-file> from within icecast.xml somehow?

thx
sp~s~b
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are dealing with 2.3.2 then you probably want to do this via the stats interface.

eg curl -X STATS http://admin:pw@host:8000/

This will show the stats being generated for streams. You probably want to match something like stream_start. You can then extract the mountpoint from that and kick off curl/wget to save the content.

With my branch work, another possibility is to use a wildcard mount definition and call a script via on-connect or stream_add auth. That script would then kick off curl/wget to save the content.

The latter approach would not help if the various settings differ between the mounts, like max listeners. The former approach should work in either case.

karl.
sposob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - thx for fast reply - i am really slow it seems Wink

i was pondering about your proposal and i was actually hoping there would be an easier solution - i can't be the first one asking about it actually and i am not the programming type either....

so basically there is no other way than diving into shell scripting, right?

would the dump-file be an option to use?

thx
sp~s~b
Liquid_Squelch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Windows Solution Reply with quote

Probably not your best answer, but I've been doing it like this since 2005.

I have Windows running "Simplecast". Simplecast can break up the files by size or length.

Right now, I'm archiving 3 scanners that I am streaming into hour long chunks. 24x7

Of course, I say this isn't the best solution because its a Windows Solution Smile

I'm hoping to convert this all to Linux once I understand that monster better Wink
liteFun

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: grab multiple streams at same time automatcially?? Reply with quote

sposob wrote:
hi!
i want to grab from one icecast server multiple streams automatically when they appear. it's a server for artists and they just stream from time to time (like every month) and sometimes all at the same time (up to three/four streams). i also want to stop the recording as soon as they disappear.

now i tried to see whether i can do that with wget and automatize this, so i don't have to be there and turn on/off manually also with the names of the mountpoints (that change the whole time and are never the same). but http does not accept wildcards. so any ideas of how i can achieve that?

can i use the <dump-file> from within icecast.xml somehow?

thx
sp~s~b

Set up specified mountpoints for each artist, it will make it easier.
Then, use <on-connect>/home/icecast/bin/source-start</on-connect> for each mountpoint, where source-start is shell script that starts wget with options for timestamping filenames etc. Wget will stop automatically when stream disconnects.
sposob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally did it like this, although i wanted initially to grab every stream coming on the server. but it works really fine now and actually i am happy with this setup!
thx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: