Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yp.xml / ml_icecastlist.dll - same probs as last year ????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrmod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: yp.xml / ml_icecastlist.dll - same probs as last year ???? Reply with quote

@KarlH:
Hi Karl, i suppose we experience a similar problem as we had in November 2010.
See this post, please:
http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=7376.
Thsi time the entries in yp.xml / ml_icecastlist.dll seems to be limited at 1000.
I hope you can solve the problem again.

Thanks for your efforts.

scrmod
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Vincent is doing something at the moment on this. I'll talk to him about this.

karl.
scrmod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,
can you estimate the duration of Vincent's work ???

Thanks for reply

scrmod
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really, it's out of my hands at the moment. The xml list has become a certain size that a lot of the bandwidth is given to that as it seems that some players request the uncompressed form. At the moment it's just a question of getting permission to re-locate to a different provider. Having an ever-increasing list is not the best well thought out plan but there wasn't that many initially but now we do seem to have over 9000 listing at times so a limiter is probably something to consider if only help bandwdth and memory usage on client machines.

karl.
Joe-L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
The xml list has become a certain size that a lot of the bandwidth is given to that as it seems that some players request the uncompressed form. [..] Having an ever-increasing list is not the best well thought out plan but there wasn't that many initially but now we do seem to have over 9000 listing at times so a limiter is probably something to consider if only help bandwdth and memory usage on client machines.

karl.

Hi,

i think a limiter is a very bad idea for directory listing. It wont be possible to find every listed station anymore or you need an api to do a search/look up.

Why moving to a new provider instead of working to resolve the issue. There are many things that could be done.

My ideas:

1)
Offer an alternative version of the dump, that is not limited to 1000 entries but already compressed like http://dir.xiph.org/yp.xml.gz
-> The compressed version should not cause more traffic than the limited one.
-> This gets it working for people again without much effort.

2)
In the limited version only deliver 1 URL for each station.
-> Thus there are at least 1000 different stations listed in the file.

3)
The webfrontend uses links to .m3u/.xspf files to tune in. Reuse these links in the yp.xml instead of listing a station with 8 mirrors 8 times. At least put more "listen_url" tags in one "entry" tag.
-> This also saves a lot of redundant characters.

4)
Consider a split of the directory dump by genre/tag.
-> No client/user browses the whole directory. Clients are interested in some specific genres or just want to search for a part of the station name.
-> Shoutcast for example is doing it that way.

Regards Joe

PS: At the current situation it would be better to turn off the directory dump. Then at least there would not be the illusion of a working one and more people would start complaining about it.
Joe-L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

it now has been 5 months and the icecast directory dump is still limited to 1000 entries and many stations are listed with mirrors, so that the dump contains less than 500 distinct stations at all.

The directory dump is almost useless right now.

What is going on regarding this issue? Is someone working on it? I doubt it...

Regards Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: