Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs do not automatically stream in playlist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Songs do not automatically stream in playlist Reply with quote

Well, first I noticed that a test playlist with one entry seems to crash Ices. I had to manually restart Ices after each play.

I added another entry to my playlist, and now Ices does not crash or quit, but whatever player I use to listen, I have to hit stop and then play after every song, after which I hear the currently playing song from the server.

What setting is relevant to this? The stream should just play without my having to hit stop/play between songs.
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... after one song played just now, with Audacious still running, I heard another station playing. Shocked Lasted about 30 seconds.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like a series of files that are not at the same settings. If you pass content straight through (no encoding on the fly) then make sure the bitrate/samplerate and channels are the same.

karl.
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are. Shocked

So what could be going wrong?
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it matters, I converted MP3's to Ogg with this:

Code:

ffmpeg -i infile.mp3 -acodec libvorbis -aq 60 outfile.ogg

But still, the infiles were the same bitrate, ergo the outfiles should be the same bitrate. All files are stereo. So my conversion shouldn't be the problem.

OT, the "you cannot make another post so soon" is way too long. If I forget something I want to add or need to make an edit, I gotta go waste time for a few minutes. Maybe cut it down to 30 second or something, which should be long enough to thwart bots and such.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually vorbis is mainly VBR but you do want to aim for a specific bitrate just for consistency. The main thing with conversion is keeping the samplerate and channels the same as various players can have issue resetting state midstream.

If the stream is not disconnecting then it could be a broken player, some have had issues with something called chains which boils down to metadata updates really. I don't know if audacious is one but vlc, winamp, ogg123 have been ok. I believe firefox is still broken on the playback side of things.

karl.
audiodef

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

It looks like a player configuration and that my Icecast/Ices is just fine. I just checked Audacious on two computers other than the one I've been working on and song title, artist and even album show up (re: my other post regarding metadata) and songs switch just fine.

Embarassed Now I feel like a dumbass for not having checked the same software on another computer. I'm demoting myself from hacker wannabe to dumbass supreme. Razz

I guess I'll go ahead and put the rest of my collection up as Ogg. Thanks for your responses, Karl. It's much appreciated. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: