Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash based web player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murrawhip

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Flash based web player Reply with quote

I've forever been searching for a decent player that will play MP3 streams from icecast without making lameass attempts at avoiding the flash HTTP streaming cache issue. (Like restarting the stream every x amount of minutes)
Karl's branch does provide FLV wrapping which solves this issue, but many of the flash players on the web still try and restart the feed to fix a no-longer existing problem.

Another requirement is that I can use the player for commercial use. (Free isn't a requirement).

JWplayer makes it incredibly difficult to remove the video part of their player, and to change the play/pause button into a play/stop button. Once I finally did have all that working, the slightest instability in the source client's feed would crash JWplayer's stream and despite my best efforts, not automatically reconnect.
FFmp3 was also promising until I discovered that it too, reconnects every x amount of minutes to prevent the cache from filling up. I asked the source maintainer if he'd be interested in supporting KH's flv wrapping dealio, but it doesn't seem that'll happen anytime soon.

Does anyone know of any web player that could essentially play an icecast feed as stable as itunes/windows media player/winamp would?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flv aspect is handled by the flash engine itself so it's not that the player has to do that much, but some players may try to do some work by themselves. Could the instability you mention be handled better by a larger burst-size?

karl.
Murrawhip

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my clients' network connections are notoriously unstable.

With a large burst-size, wouldn't the extra buffer 'run out'?

I'm on a dedicated Gbps port with mounts varying between 64 and 128kb/s, and only using like, 15% of the network's capability. What burst-size would you suggest? I doubled the default.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously there is a question of what level of instability the link is, if it's just a question of a bit of lag which resumes then the larger burst will help but if there is a drop in the link or a timeout then the burst will not help. For the latter, you are probably best having a short source timeout and a fallback. The default burst is 64k which is only 4 seconds at 128kbit/s

karl.
Murrawhip

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following happens every couple of hours on many of the servers, sporadically:

Code:
[2011-06-09  06:23:06] WARN source/source_read Disconnecting /live due to socket timeout
[2011-06-09  06:23:06] INFO source/source_shutdown Source "/live" exiting
[2011-06-09  06:23:06] INFO source/source_client_read no more listeners on /live
[2011-06-09  06:23:06] INFO source/source_free_source source /live to be freed
[2011-06-09  06:23:06] INFO source/_free_source freeing source "/live"
[2011-06-09  06:23:18] INFO connection/_handle_source_request Source logging in at mountpoint "/live"
[2011-06-09  06:23:18] INFO source/source_startup sources count is now 1
[2011-06-09  06:23:18] INFO source/source_apply_mount Applying mount information for "/live"
[2011-06-09  06:23:18] INFO connection/connection_complete_source source /live is ready to start
[2011-06-09  06:23:18] INFO source/source_init Source /live initialised
[2011-06-09  06:23:18] INFO source/source_read listener count on /live now 0
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a source timeout. so obviously no data was received by icecast for however many seconds. That could indicate a network issue or maybe the source client is stalled (some have used external components when getting the next file to stream and stalls there can stall the source client and therefore the stream coming in).

A change of IP could trigger it or a significant network outage, it is just difficult to say from this information. An increase in the amount of burst won't help in a timeout situation.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: