Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffering Issues with Mount Points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djcmedia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Buffering Issues with Mount Points Reply with quote

I'm looking for someone who can help me fix a couple issues with my IC2 v2.3.2-kh30. I'm using CentovaCast Control Panel. Here's what's happening:

Centova automatically builds my 3 mounts; /autodj, /live & /stream. When using /autodj, the stream works perfectly. When connecting through /live it buffers badly at times while /autodj is still running.

I'm running on a quad core dedi and the CPU usage is almost non existent. I have 12 streams and using a 1TB card with dedicated bandwidth.

I donate streams to schools for live sports and switched from Shoutcast to Icecast for the ability to let them go live while the main programming runs in the background.

Being a novice, it has to be something I've done wrong and my SysAdmin company knows NOTHING about streaming servers. The server is Linux based with WHM/CPanel.

Would some one give me a hand fixing this? I'm not asking you to work for free, just reasonably. Smile

^^Edited due to wrong version^^
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centova does seem to have a few oddities for configuring xml, by default they use a queue size of 100k with a burst of 64k for example. To utilise the quad core add a <workers>4</workers> to <limits> (reload the xml, it can be less than 4 if you want but the default of 1 should show this up).

The streams are for the most part independent of each other, so unless there is a resource limit being reached (eg cpu/IO etc) then not sure off hand. Is this some virtual hosted server? as those have show to be an issue.

I have had a few updates to kh31 up on github. If nothing shows up as obvious then let me know and I can take a look at what is actually be processed.

karl.
djcmedia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
Is this some virtual hosted server? as those have show to be an issue.

I have had a few updates to kh31 up on github. If nothing shows up as obvious then let me know and I can take a look at what is actually be processed.

karl.

It is a true dedi machine. Should I go ahead and upgrade the install to kh31? I emailed you earlier. I am a complete novice on Linux and Icecast. I'm really in over my head on this. LOL
als

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffering Issues with Mount Points Reply with quote

You should post your config file (with passwords removed). error log for the moment of "badly buffering".
Possible problem reason for live feeds is source soundcard / software clock drift ( had such problems with some source clients on integrated soundcards).

Alex
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the conversations I've had and what I have seen, its looking likely to be a stall sufficient enough to trip the "fallen too far behind" case. This is getting to be a frequent issue with centova based setups because of the default setting of 100k for the queue size.

The default for icecast has been 512k for some time but a very short queue length can impose a very low tolerance of stalls/throttling which is made worse with higher bitrates.

General rule, if running centova then increase the queue-size. 100k is fine for say a 16kbps stream, but it's only 6 seconds at 128kbps.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: