Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fallback and relaying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Fallback and relaying Reply with quote

Good morning!
We are setting up a new streaming environment which shall handle quite a big number of clients. At the moment we are try to find the most stable and admin-friendly solution right now.

Given thing: There are two Icecast-Servers in the distribution-departement. They have the same audio source, but create different mounts:
Server 1: /1/Stream1, /1/Stream2 etc.
Server 2: /2/Stream1, /2/Stream2 etc.

Now the plan is:
- Relaying all mounts (around 30) from these servers onto masterservers in the two sites
- Relaying all mounts from both master-servers to the edge-servers (Server1: /2/ as fallback, Server 2: /1/ as fallback)
From there we are dynamicly creating a pls-file with the primary mounts in it (tbd).

Questions:
- Master to edge-Servers: is it possible to configure two master-slave relay-connections? At the moment we have 60 Relay-Lines in the config
- Fallback-config: is there a way to use Wildcards /1/* instead of configure every mount itself (i tried but it was not working. Do i have to enable this feature?)
- Is it possible to define global mount settings (for example authentication)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13826617/Fallbackkonzept.jpg

Thank you for your time!!
Chris
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which would be the best way to implement this for yourselves but the main factors are

The master/slave definition doesn't allow for multiple servers to be specified currently, so any mechanism would mean defining explicit relays.

I don't think you want fallback handling on the masters as I suspect you are more concerned about a master becoming inaccessible as opposed to individual streams becoming unavailable on the master.

In the kh build, each relay can have multiple server entries so you can fallover from one to the other, so your edge servers could be set up that way to bounce between masters. In theory the master/slave link could create relays like that but it currently does not.

The other way is to make the edge server relays refer to a link that is actually something like a php returning a 302 code and Location: header redirecting the edge server to reconnect to another master. Obviously in such cases there needs to be some rules on how to determine where to send those relays

karl.
chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Puppet Reply with quote

Hi Karl
I just learned about puppet (configuration-management). We will do these huge config-files with that, it helps keeping upgrades as easy as possible Smile

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: