Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Host redirect method that works with icecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
square_eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Host redirect method that works with icecast Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a host redirect method that works with icecast?

I wan't my remote DJ's to only have to remember one url/host for their source clients, and I have been upgrading and trialling some changes to my icecast server which have resulted in source IP changes.

Every time I communicate a change it's problematic, so I'd rather they were connecting to an alias that I control.
square_eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried using redirects from a subdomain that I created especially. If I include the port and mount in the redirect, I can use it to listen to my stream in a browser. But as most source clients require these input separately I have to remove them from the redirect. This then doesn't work, when using the redirect url in the source client.

I have successfully set up dyndns for my test icecast system to get around a dynamic IP, and I can use that in a source client. So I'm hoping it can be done with a redirect as well.
square_eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listener clients can be redirected but source clients generally cannot. You can redirect in the kh build using a mount option or from auth url but whether this suited for your setup I don't know.

karl.
square_eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl. Firstly... you are a legend. Thanks for all your help (I'm sure I speak for others also).

I'm interested in the mount option you mention, but if it's a unique build, my hosting provider probably doesn't have it. So I'd need a staging server, which I was looking at anyway. So it could work. Are you able to elaborate in layman's terms?

Also what about dyndns? Source clients can connect, as I mentioned, to... abcdefg.dyndns.org as if it were a host IP, I'd just need some sort of reverse proxy thing instead of the gateway/software IP reporting feature (dyndns' primary purpose) to define the landing point.
GaryLittlemore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a domain that has a re-direct on it to my IP address.

I've had to have a port forward on my home router to allow the traffic through. works great providing I don't turn the router off generating a different IP address, but if that does happen I re-configure the domain re-direct.

When my laptop picks up the router address e.g. 192.168.0.2 the port forward has to reflect this and the host settings in Icecast and the source client software (Mixxx) in my case needs to be 192.168.0.2 as well.

Hope this helps.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there is a way in 2.3.[23] to redirect listeners so you would need to install a KH build. As to whether your provider allows for it is something you would have to determine.

In the kh build, the possibilities depend on the exact nature of when to redirect listeners.

In url auth, a response to a listener_add request can contain a Location: header (with a 200 response code though) which will be passed back by icecast to the listener to reconnect using a 302 code (much like a web server redirects web requests). This allows for per-listener specific redirection, eg redirecting to a nearer or less loaded server but requires an authentication script to make a determination.

A <redirect> in <mount>, which redirects using a 302 response to a static host:port. The requested mountpoint gets appended as a <mount> could be based on a wildcard eg

<mount>
<mount-name>/*192</mount-name>
<redirect>http://other:8000</redirect>
</mount>

note that "other" could be a multi-IP DNS name.

The last way is to define multiple servers globally, to apply to all mounts which get used if a listener limit is reached eg a mount max-listeners

<icecast>
<redirect>
<host>a.b.c</host>
<port>8000</port>
</redirect>

<redirect>
<host>d.e.f</host>
<port>8000</port>
</redirect>
</icecast>

Again this uses the 302 response to listeners which means new listeners can be redirected. Any existing listeners that are dropped for any reasons won't see it

For dynamic DNS updates you just run some software on the intended machine to maintain the DNS entry, routers can do this as well.

You can always have sources connect to an single icecast and have listeners connect to one of several slaves of it.

karl.
square_eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm redirect using icecast is not going to suit unfortunately.

How does Dyndns forward a url?

I am able to point my source client to "myname.dyndns.org" just as effectively as XXX.XXX.XX.XX (my server IP).

I'd like to know what they are doing that doesn't break the connection attempt from the source client like all my redirect attempts have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: