Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefox issues and HTML5/ogg-theora-vorbis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quandt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Firefox issues and HTML5/ogg-theora-vorbis Reply with quote

I'm seeing an issue with Firefox (v15, all platforms) and icecast 2.3.3, namely upon initial play from within FF, everything is fine, at an interuption in the stream, ie say the network dies but then resumes, FF does not properly restart playing the stream. Instead of resuming wherever things are in the broadcast FF will play what it had last saved or cached. There is no-way to stop this behavior without restarting FF (clearing the cache, setting meta tags in the html code, all have no effect).

Can anyone else confirm this behavior, and have you figured out a work around?

html snippet:

<video id="myvid" class="tfcliveclass" autoplay="autoplay" controls="controls" poster="http://www.thefatchick.com/tf
clive/poster.jpg">
<source src="http://XXX:8000/test.ogg" type="video/ogg" />
<source src="http://YYY/tfclive/astream_ep_128k.m3u8" type="video/mp4" />
Your browser does not support HTML5 video (yet). You can try clicking the link below to switch to the old flash player, or upgrade your browser to something newer. Best supported browsers are Firefox and Safari.
</video>

code snippet ( gstreamer ) used to generate the stream
! theoraenc drop-frames=false bitrate=200 ! queue ! oggmux name=mux autoaudiosrc ! queue ! audioconvert ! audio/x-raw-int,rate=48000,channels=2,depth=16 ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc quality=0.2 ! queue ! queue ! mux. mux. ! queue ! shout2send ip=XXXX port=8000 mount=test.ogg password=hackme

Steps to reproduce are:

1) start a live broadcast to icecast which is then made available to a FF client (ie html5 type streaming, using ogg), use either vlc to do so, or my favorite is gst/gstreamer

2) tune to your broadcast with FF

3) pull the network plug, wait a bit

4) replug, refresh ff page to get it to try to resume

5) notice that it will only play what it last saw, not the new stream.

I'm reporting this issue to mozilla as well, but would appreciate confirmation from anyone, and or workaround thoughts.
Klausi2007

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox issues and HTML5/ogg-theora-vorbis Reply with quote

quandt wrote:
I'm seeing an issue with Firefox (v15, all platforms) and icecast 2.3.3, namely upon initial play from within FF, everything is fine, at an interuption in the stream, ie say the network dies but then resumes, FF does not properly restart playing the stream. Instead of resuming wherever things are in the broadcast FF will play what it had last saved or cached. There is no-way to stop this behavior without restarting FF (clearing the cache, setting meta tags in the html code, all have no effect).

Can anyone else confirm this behavior, and have you figured out a work around?

Hi,

I can confirm exactly this behavior with our webm stream playing in firefox within a html5 tag. We tested this with Opera and Chrome without such problems.

I think also, this is a Firefox bug (tested with version 25.0.1 on Windows).
Additional, this funny things occures:
- start your firefox with a definded cache size, eg. 32MB
- let the stream play for a while
- interrupt the stream as described
- clear the cache ... OOps.
You can not clear the size of cached video (the cache will not reach zero, until firefox is restarted)

I think, this may be a problem with the cache management of firefox and it is not only with Ogg/Theora streams.

We have not found a workaround for this.

Regards, Klaus
drJeckyll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same issue, but it is easy to add something after file name to trick browser that file is changed and therefore to force new "version" to be downloaded:

<source src="http://XXX:8000/test.ogg?random123" type="video/ogg" />

Just change "random123" with some random string every time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: