Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listener Authentication, Winamp and IE / FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Listener Authentication, Winamp and IE / FF Reply with quote

Has anybody managed to smoothly integrate links to Icecast2 http-basic authentication enabled streams on webpages?

I have URL's like this: http://user:pass@server.net:22000/stream4.ogg.m3u and URL's without the .m3u for other players like the famous xmms on linux Wink

the problem is, the applications behavior on the listeners systems is very different and unsatisfying.

Internet Explorer with winamp: Page can not be displayed. (IE completely fails this task, not even allowing me to download or do whatever)

Firefox with winamp: for _me_ it works clicking on the .m3u links. Other users (with same Firefox and winamp versions) state that winamp keeps traying to connect and sometimes ask for the passphrase (user:pass).

The solution is to copy and paste the url _without_m3u into winamps "play url" dialog .. not a nice thing.
Mplayer plugin in firefox does the job for treams ending without m3u. But my listeners are .. very average the don't want to change thier behavoir ..

I had a look at jorbis but it fails to play the stream .. well i can't be the first one to have this problem right? Smile

Thanks so far for the _great_ listener authentication that too few applications seem to understand good enough for now. Icecast is all so neet Wink)

greetings
Mana
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal automatic m3u generator doesn't yet handle the username/password parts yet, although there is the link from /auth.xsl which should suffice, ie /admin/buildm3u.

karl
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah you mean i could send the authentication-data to "/admin/buildm3u" thus creating a proper m3u? but i guess this will not solve the Internet Explorer Problem he?

i will have a closer look at the auth.xslt this evening ... Thank you Smile
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got authentication working smoothly. However, I don't secure the m3u or pls in any way. I secured the stream. Anybody can read the playlist files.

I realize that different clients implement the password prompt in different ways; but it hasn't caused us much of a problem.

Let me know if I can help.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is: i have a single-sign-on solution for a community webseite. The people are all rather unskilled and i want them to have the same user experience as with any normal non-secured stream they know. I have to secure the stream due to legal reasons in germany (GEMA, GVU and other bloodsuckers).
As i cannot trust the people who have access the site to not give the stream-url (with username:password) to thier friends (what i dont want to happen) and as i don't like thier main login to exist in plaintext in some players playlist, i decided to create authentication-tokens that are valid only for a limited amount of time and only to access the stream. I would have to create the m3u-file dynamicaly like icecast does it in the one or other way to avoid my problems i guess. .. hmm i don't really know how to adress this, but honestly i did not find any time yet to have a look at the admin-scripts in the Icecast backend Smile

thanks for your reply anyway. I will post my solution if i find it.

best regards
Mana
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can create a php script to return a playlist with query args like http://host:port/mystream.ogg?session=1234

You should see the parameters as part of the mount= parameter in auth url scripts.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean players interpret the page correctly as playlist though it hasn't extension .m3u or .pls?
I will try that soon, thanks karl Smile

Mana
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether a player will handle an m3u/pls download just relying on the content type I'm not sure, usually people use the browser to get the playlist.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: