Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authentication with 'wildcard' mountpoints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Authentication with 'wildcard' mountpoints Reply with quote

Hi,

I manage computing for a student run radio station in the uk. I have been looking into using the authentication system in icecast to restrict access to some static content. I would like to do this for whole directories rather than individual files.

I have had a brief look through the sourcecode for icecast2 and it doesn't look like it would be too complex to add in the ability to do this. I was wondering if there were any current plans to add htis functionality or if anyone would be willing to look into it or point me in the right directions to make the modifications myself.

I'm willing to go with the hack it and hope approach but some assistance from a developer would make it much easier.

thanks,
Matthew
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly extend this bit of functionality, feel free to email me on any specific questions/ideas.

karl.
vdborght

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Authentication with wildcard mount points Reply with quote

hi,

I'm not sure the question matches the subject in the posts above, but I would actually love to have the functionality described by the subject.

This means:
The ability to define an <authentication> section only once and have it apply to all mounts (whether configured statically or added dynamically by hooking up a source).
Come to think of it -- would be great to be able to do that with any parameter.

So something like:
<mount>
<mount-name>*</mount-name>
<... other config...>
</mount>
would apply to all mounts.

Even going further, some simple pattern matching would be even better!
Like:
<mount>
<mount-name>/*_fr*</mount-name>
<... other config...>
</mount>
Would apply to all my french streams.

And do Apache-like combinations so that that if there are overlapping definitions, they're added together. (So I can put common config in the * mount and specific config in the named mount)

Just this simple feature would reduce my icecast.xml by 80%... since I've got 30 streams (and increasing) that all need to call the same authentication URL

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com
liteFun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Authentication with wildcard mount points Reply with quote

vdborght wrote:

<mount>
<mount-name>*</mount-name>
<... other config...>
</mount>

How I remember this can be done without specifying <mount> but only with <password>?
Friend had setup for 10 mountpoints max, and one password for all who wanted to stream whatever mountpoint they wanted.
Well, in some cases 30 predefined mountpoints with exactly same settings would be good. Except I would still define different passwords for each for security reasons so /radioX's DJ wouldnt stream to /ABCradio Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: