Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mysterious error with some users... with WinAmp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Mysterious error with some users... with WinAmp Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

We changed our streaming stuff to IceCast2 from ShoutCast... I really love IceCast, it's much better and have a lot of very good features... so I wanna keep this as streaming system.

Some of our listeners wanna kill me about this change.. they said can't listen our station because the stream is buffering and sometimes drop them out.. they use WinAmp.

I tested the streams with WinAmp, WinMediaPlayer, XMMS, mpg123 and it's was stable.. I asked a lot of friends and they got same.. ultra stable stream, good quality, etc... but this 4-5 guys still says the stream is sucks, buffering, dropping etc... so we have a little war now because they wanna the shoutcast back... but we don't wanna...

Somebody have any idea why they have this error?

The buged users have XP with WinAmp... yes I know it's a large bug, but... Laughing
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just a small number of the listeners that are connected at the time then it won't be the stream itself as that would affect all listeners. It's more likely to be the link between icecast and the listener. If it is the same listeners each time then there must be something slowing the throughput to them, the typical cause is the latency but could be some weird routing issue or a poor proxy (without knowing the specifics it's hard to say)

A simple change you could do, is allow the queue for the mountpoint to increase more, because if they are getting a small stall in the network link then you may need to increase the tollerance. Change the queue-size to something larger (can be per-mount). The example xml files often state about 100kbytes for the queue with 64k of that burst, try with 500k

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

Thank you, I changed the settings as you said and it's working now fine Smile

Here is my settings, maybe it's help to somebody who have same error :

<limits>
<clients>500</clients>
<sources>10</sources>
<threadpool>5</threadpool>
<queue-size>512000</queue-size>
<client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
<header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
<source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
<burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect>
<burst-size>131072</burst-size>
</limits>

Thanks again,
Eu
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it, but you may want to reduce the burst size, 64k is a common value used. The larger the burst size the more data is sent when a new listener connects which may be an issue for some bandwidth limited listeners.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Winamp listerners Reply with quote

Hey

Well Im using Sam2 Broadcast as source and Icecast2 as server. Seems look like everything is doing allright but so far when the listeners try to connect the station into winamp for exemple show up the message "connecting to host" and stops there probable I think Im not configure .xml correctly the icecast run normaly Am I missing something? But what?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Somebody can't listen to my station, but others can Reply with quote

I have a problem! I have DSL with dynamic IP and 2 computers connected to a router.The router is set up for port forwarding. I used shoutcast and then jetcast.I was tired of people had to open the 'yp' webpage from my webpage.I heared that some PROs use IceCast.I downloaded 2.3.0 and Oddcast 3.0 source client for winamp.The first problem was that I have a dynamic IP address, so I started to use DYNIP.com or DYN.hu to get a fixed address.I put a link on my webpage with own_name.dyn.hu:8000/listen.mp3, but that didn't worked out.I could hear it from my other machine, but others couldn't.I tried another way. I made a *.pls playlist file with the own_name.dyn.hu:8000/listen.mp3. This way some people can hear me, but many others don't. I want to solve the problem, so everybody could listen to me.How can I do that? Has anybody got an idea?
Please Help Me !! Sad Confused
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the name resolution and routing sorted out then it will work. You want the a DNS service to map your changing IP to a fixed DNS name. You then use that name in all your references to the server/stream.

As to what is the exact problem currently you'll have to expand on it more. If the IP is correct then it will be routing or firewalling.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: similar problem Reply with quote

I'm not a server but a winamp user and may be having a similar problem with one particular icecast stream and it may occur with others with the higher bitrates (above 128k)

http://wprb-webcast2.princeton.edu:8000/wprb

It will quit suddenly, and it appears to happen when it rebuffers due to underrun. I am running dsl.

it seems to do better when I reset my in_mp3 plugin to 0 buffer on underrun.

Any suggestions I can make to this stations?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: similar problem Reply with quote

RockyJ wrote:
I'm not a server but a winamp user and may be having a similar problem with one particular icecast stream and it may occur with others with the higher bitrates (above 128k)

http://wprb-webcast2.princeton.edu:8000/wprb

Any suggestions I can make to this stations?

A bit rare, a 160k mp3 stream which is mono. A buffer starvation could be for many reasons. You could tell them to update their icecast server, as 2.3.1 is out now.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it shouldn't stop when it hits a rebuffer. At least I don't seem to have that problem with others. But I will see if the other ones are using the later version.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having a similar problem...
Using the defaulted Icecast config limitation values...I start to stream successfully with oddcast as the source.. in a simple aac+ 32kbps stream.

The problem begins after 100-200 mins of play. The buffer runs out (I get buffer: 0%) on the player. It continues to play with the same buffer error for another 20 mins or so...then the music starts to skip...then stop.

how can I get either the buffer to continully get re-filled or get re-filled when it reaches 0%?

please advise.
Thanks,
alljack6298
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: